Accubond 168 gr Long Distance 7 mm

168's are working 150's are no good! Stay with the jump they prefer that over the lans! 3.293- 3.298 oacl.They do better slower. Best group h 4831sc 63.3grns next best Magnum 68.0grns chrono 2863fps average. Nosler Custom brass. Fed GM215. Rifle7MM NoslerTG 48 custom.Nosler Accubond LR's 168's Doing recovery next week. (150's lost over 2/3 weight! Not good!!!(
10X

Thanks 10!! I started some ladder testing on the weekend, saw right away as you point out that they like the slower speeds. I was only using the RL19, thats all I have on the shelf in any quantity. Very preliminary, but coming out of my custom at just under 2800 fps I had some group at < @ 1" at 200 yds. Pretty good for the day. This was 59.5-60 gr RL19 out of 26" barrel on my custom Rocky Mountain Rifle.
I did get a good group out of my Savage LRH at 2940 fps average, @ 1" 61-61.5 gr RL19. But both the RMR and the Sendero liked <2800 fps or less.
I have three loads made to try at next trip to range:
59.8 gr RL19
60.3 gr RL19
61.3 gr RL19
As estimates of the best performers in my three different 7 MM rifles.
Had to shortcut the ladder test process due to constrained powder supply, having to rely a little more on luck for this development than I would like.
But even with a few leftovers from ladder test I had two rifles group 3"-4" at 400 yds, there aren't many elk within that distance that won't be nervous.
More next weekend! Thank you for your insight.

Forgot: these were with new winchester brass, CCI 220 Mag Primers, and on a lead sled, as you probably guessed! My RMR is chambered for the HSM Berger VLD factory ammo, so COAL is 3.3340 and I loaded these all to this length. Once I get powder dialed in I am going to try seating a little deeper as per 10Xtacout findings above.
Shawn

Last edited:
Shawn,

What twist did the guys set you up with in that barrel?

And 10x.. not sure I caught mention what yours is either-- I've got an 8twist 5R that I'll be running 168's thru as soon as I get a rainy day and time off the combine! Expecting alot faster than 2900 though* My 7's got a little extra horsepower..

Curious what those barrel twists are

I loaded IMR 7828 in my Rem 7mm STW with over a 9" twist and shot a 3/8", c to c, 100 yard group. I used the data for the Berger bullet. As it is 3 degrees here, I quickly cut the target and headed for home. I didn't have much of a problem with the barrel heating up though.

Thanks CF! My RMH barrel has a 1 in 9 twist rate. I havent been able to get the LDs to outperform the Bergers in that rifle yet, the 168 LRH Bergers group just a hair over 3" at 700 yds. In my Sendero, with the 1 in 9.25" twist rate, the 168 Nosler LDs in front of 61.3 gr RL-19 are grouping 0.9" at 200 yds. I'm pretty happy with that. Muzzle velocity is 2880 fps. Haven't had a chance to shoot at range beyond 200 yet, hunting season got in the way!!

I used Nosler 150 BTs in my STW this year. When that bullet hit a deer, you could hear the bullet strike in the next county. The exit and entrance wound channels were reversed. The BT's are not for STW's at 300 yards. I hope that the Accubond LR's hold together better.

I have the same issue with Bergers. I had an 80% loss of bullet weight retention on a mule deer at 400 yds this year. Jacket came to rest just inside skin opposite side, but there wasnt much mass there. The accubonds have held together well for me in 270 WSM on elk and 300 Win Mag on moose. Hoping for the same from the LRs... they sure are long and skinny though....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.