ABS carbon barrels

I know there are some gunsmiths and shooters who follow this board that have had firsthand experience with the ABS carbon wrapped barrels. For those that have, I would like your opinion in three areas.

1. Initial accuracy- Do the barrels dial in for accuracy out of the box without unusual difficulty.

2. long term accuracy- How are they shooting now that you have some rounds through them.

3. Overall durability-How is the carbon wrap holding up under hunting conditions.

Thanks

Doug,
I have a 7mm STW with a ABS barrel that I like.My only problem with it is fouling,very hard to clean.The one I have has a Douglas liner,the Rock may have been a better choice.One thing I like is how they dissipate heat.I was not sure if the carbon was holding the heat in or not, because the barrel did not heat up like some of the other magnums I shoot,so I took my infrared heat gun out with me the next time I went shooting.I took readings from outside barrel,inside barrel,muzzle and chamber.There was no doubt from the readings that it dissipates heat.

1)Initial accuracy: 1/2-3/4 moa with handloads.

2)Long term accuracy: I have 535 rounds down the tube,accuracy remains about the same(1/2-3/4).

3)Durabilty: No problems so far.

Plus 1 what Blacktail2 said.

Mine is a Rock barrel and I like it fine. These barrels cool great! We took some pics of mine with a thermal imaging camera and posted them here in "338 thunder project". Run a search and you should be able to find them. The pics are on one of the last few pages.

I am dealing with about 6 people who are in the same boat as you Meichele. They can't seem to find Mike and are long past due. I don't know what is going on. I haven't spoken with him in awhile. Hope there are no problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I was wondering if you can just send your blank and have ABS wrap them?. I have an Obermeyer 5R/308/11 twist blank that just gathering dust.

Last time I talked to him, he was turning down any barrel to the right contour to be wrapped but his business has really been kicked into overdrive and he might only be taking Rock barrels now because they are pre-contoured to fit the carbon.

[ QUOTE ]
They can't seem to find Mike and are long past due

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is not long past due but I'm w/you on the can't find Mike thing. I've called and left 2 messages and emailed him once over the last two weeks. Probably just busy. At least I hope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif!!

I just drove buy Mikes shop on Sun., didn't stop in, but there were three cars in the lot( not Mikes) and the lights were on so I'd guess they're busy if they're working Sundays.

Chris

Hey BJ !

I was going to send this message PM but you have your pm's turned off it seems .

All I was going to say is that it is normal to have these " interruptions " when dealing with Rock bbls .

No sense pointing fingers , just wait till you get what you ordered then enjoy !!

What a lot of fun this is , this building of custom rifles .Keep a cool head and be patient and of course buuzzz the phone off the wall if " they " dont answer

Jim B.

My pms have been working. I've gotten several of the past week or so. Not sure why they don't now???

[ QUOTE ]
No sense pointing fingers , just wait till you get what you ordered then enjoy !!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not pointing any fingers. I figure the less time he spends answering the phone and emails the more time that gives him to work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif!!!

My apologies B.J. ,

I wasn't suggesting you were pointing fingers just speaking in generalities . Another example of my muddy typing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Jim B.

Add me to that list. I've also left two messages in the last two weeks without a response. I am not concerned with the wait as I am about the blank itself. Wanted to know if we're still going with the Rock or one of the other suppliers he mentioned. I would have had my barrel already but Mike say's he rejected my Rock blank when it arrived; about 1 in a 100 according to him do not meet his standards. We discussed the possibilty of another barrel maker if it was going to be a while, .277 1-8.25 twist. I wanted to reach him to tell him if it was going to take a long time for the custom twist I would change my barrel and build a .338 Edge instead if it was more readily available. Between the delay for the barrel and the delay on the custom action this project has been in the making for a loonnnnngg time.

Kirby is putting it all together. The .338 Allen Mag didn't exist when I started this and it has been so long I kinda wish I could start all over but the stock and action won't work with that round. I know I will be very happy when my .270 Allen mag is finished.

ABS 30 in. carbon barrel 1-8.25 twist to handle the 169.5 or the 195 gr. Wildcat bullets, Borden Alpine action, Accuracy International stock, Defensive Edge brake, IOR 6x24 scope, Seekins 20 moa base.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.