ABS Carbon Barrel Special to LRH members

Carbonman

ABS is willing to post a special price to LRH members using the custom rifle building services of Kirby Allen, Shawn Carlock and Dave Viers. The time saved in resolving amateur builder issues is well worth the discount to us.
Barrels up to 30" long finish, calibers 22, 6mm, 6.5mm, 30 and 338 are included in this deal.
The package is a 1.250" Rock Creek 5R liner, carbon fiber application finished to M24 profile (5" of straight cylinder, straight taper to .900" at 27"), titanium brake for $585. Without the brake the price is $500. Remember, if you manage to burn the barrel up, we will rebore and rerifle for a nominal fee of $200. Barrels at these prices are not a throwaway commodity. Expect to get 75-100% greater life initially with a rebore that will extend your initial investment even further.
We are in the process of moving into a larger facility with more working staff. The move will be completed over the next week. Beginning June 9 we will take orders on this special offer. Turn around times in the calibers listed is guaranteed at 8-10 weeks. With the increase in staffing we hope to show the lead time is actually reduced to 5-7 weeks.
If you are interested, PM me through the LRH system.

I can add the 7mm to the list with the following qualification:
Lead times may be extended in obtaining the 5R blanks. Our shipments of 7mm barrels from Rock have begun, however, the lead times are projected at least 3-4 weeks longer than the other calibers.

You guys be sure and jump on this. You will definatly be happy with the barrels.

Think about it, buy any fluted match grade barrel and you are almost at this price. And you get the lighter carbon barrel, with the heat dissapating properties, and they look very cool.

My 11 year old daughter even thinks they look cool. She keeps asking me when I am going to make her a rifle with that carbon thingy on it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Its definitely worth it!!! here is my hunting rifle. Mike is a great guy to deal with as well.

Oh ya and the barrels SHOOT!!!! very impressed

399662.jpg

399661.jpg

All i can say is they are at the top of the list for accurate barrels. Its hard to describe just how fast they cool down, and i am running 145grns of powder through the tube.

Has anyone taken advantage of this awesome deal?
If so have you had your barrel delivered and installed yet?
If you have let's hear about it.
TIA,
Wayne aka WAMBO

I ordered one, great guy to work with. Mine is running a little long because I ordered a .277, 1 in 8 twist which was not part of the deal but he allowed me to take advantage of the special.

Carbon Man,

Can you give us some kind of weight comparison on these barrels.

For example a Krieger #3 "Medium Sproter" .243cal at 24" long weighs 3lbs.

How would your carbon wrapped barrel compare weight wise.
This is almost as important as accuracy to some of us.

What is the barrel material, SST or Carbon Stl?

Also, what design is the Ti brake, can you post a pic.

And lastly, would it be possible to get these deals in .257 & .277cal, time is not a great concern.

And as a final question, Carbon material is not as good a conductor of heat as metal, where does the heat go from the steel liner. The outer shell of the carbon wrap acts as an insulator and you wont feel the heat come thru the barrel, but the inside liner should be pretty hot. Can you explain the physics of the whole concept.

Thanks in advance.

Vic

Victor;

I cant reply for Carbon Man on most of your questions, but the heat factor i sure can. I built one in 338-408 earlier this year and i can attest the heat comes right out to the outer side of the barrel, it sucks the heat away from the barrel, and its not a liner, its a normal working barrel that can be fired without the carbon applied. Goodgrouper has one that he has done tests on heat exchanging, there is a post here somewhere that has the color pictures of the heat loss. I can say that after 5 rapid shots with the big rifle, the outside of the barrel is very warm, the steel chamber area is cool, muzzel is cool. I have two more barrels on order. They are well worth the extra $$$

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.