? about using different brass

PowellSixO

How much of a difference will using different types of brass, make on my accuracy out to lets say 600-700 yards gun)? 7mm brass has become more and more difficult to find. I've been shooting Remington brass with excellent results, but can't find any more to save my life. I came across some Federal Premium brass the other day and ordered it just because it's the only new brass I've been able to come across. My primary purpose with my rifle is just to familiarize me with long range shooting (I'm a newby :D), and is used for mule deer and elk. Thanks guys.

That is really hard to say, but the difference should be significant. I have a 300 wm and just to experiment I tried Remington, Federal and Winchester brass with the same load. The Remington and Federal shoot consistently out to 1k; velocity is identical and it just works. The Winchester produces more pressure and higher velocity with the same load; about 60 fps faster and too much pressure. Mixing brass isn't recommended but sometimes you just get lucky and it works. I also have a .260 and Federal and Remington brass seems to produce the same result with the load I have. At 700 yards I have seen no difference with these two types of brass in that caliber either.

for long range shooting +400 yrds , not only will I not use mixed brass I trim then sort by weight just to be sure that I remove as much chance of a miss from me not takeing care of the little things

You may have to back off your load a bit and work up; it's a good idea to on any component switch anyway. I'm not seeing much difference with my 7 mag and rem/ win/ fed brass but that's my rifle.

Like jpd676 said, sometimes it won't seem to cause any grief and sometimes the load just won't work without starting over with load development. Not long range caliber to be sure, but the only rifle caliber I have found that I can't tell a difference in brass (at least as it affects the accuracy) is the 30/30Win.

You will have to shoot some Rems and some FC cased loads side X side and compare the results to know for sure, but bear in mind that the Feds might be higher pressure and you should probably start a little lower and work up just to be safe.

With my new build, (25.06) I was also at a loss for brass. I couldn't find enough new or used of the same brand. So, I ended up using Win'. and Rem'. I worked up my final load using both brands and I could not see a difference in grouping difference. However, I've only gone to 200 yards. Wed. I'm jumping right to 500 and I'll see what happens. Would like to step out to 500 but don't have the opportunity as the local range jumps from 200 to 500.

So far I find mixing brass does not work for long range.

At close to max loads it is also dangerous.

Thanks for the info guys. I will have to back off the powder a little and work my way back up to be on the safe side. I'm already pretty conservative with my current load (1 grain lower than what my max is), but I don't want to take any chances. That's why I wanted to ask you guys. This site is awesome. Thanks again!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.