About to get started with reloading...

The7mmSTW

Well finally was able to move to a place with a little bit more room and im ready to get my reloading setup and going

I have 300 Blackout to get started with and also 7mm STW

I have a standard lee reloading single stage press, do you think it will handle the 7mm stw casing or should i step it up to something from RCBS single stage

but i have some questions for you pros on safe handling

How do yall clean up spilled powder?

-Matt

Matt,

Welcome to the fold! Your Lee press shouold be no problem at all for the 7mm STW, and of course the 300 Blackout will be a piece of cake as far as the sizing goes. You might want to read up a bit on the specialized techniques for loading semi-autos, if you're using the Blackout in an AR, but with this one you'll still need to take it a step further. This is especially true if you're loading subsonic rounds for use with a suppressor. AAC has some pretty good tips on the care and feeding of suppressed rifles, and a great deal of info on the Blackout. Worthwhile stuff.

Spilled powder, no problem; broom and dustpan. I keep a bench brush on hand just for this type of mishap. Just have to avoid the vacuum cleaner, as it's not a good mix with propellants. (Dave Barry once wrote a column about an annual competition between vacuum cleaners siphoning gasoline, and just how fast they turn into jet engines. Hey, guys will be guys!)

Walmart sells a 3 dollar miniature dust pan/brush combo. Works great for the reloading bench. I also keep an empty powder jar and use it as my spilt powder and trash bin. Just make sure to write trash on it so you don't accidentally use it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts