About to buy a barrel, need a little advice.

Teh Wicked

Alright, the time and funds have finally aligned and its time to buy the barrel for my project.

I have a 7mm Mag on a Remington 700 action, its a Sendero rifle. Im wanting to to a rebarrel and rechamber it to a 338 Ultra mag.

Im torn on which barrel brand to purchase, just cant decide...The goal for this rifle is consistent 1000yrd shooting, and hunting out west for some big game and long range shots.

I would use a cut rifled barrel like brux or kreiger 28-30" 1:9.7 twist if you plan to shoot 300grn pills, that way you can keep them stabilized to about 1400yrds since you won't have the grunt of the lapua, edge, or 338-378wby.

Two of my record setting bench friends shoot Kreiger, 13 wks lead time, another friend said

Send Bugholes a pm. He has a buisness that keeps tons of blanks in stock from various manufacturers. No wait time and very good prices. There is a thread on here somewhere that has their inventory listed. I would also suggest cut rifled barrels such as broughton or rock creek. And the 338rum will have all the power you need. I have ran the numbers multiple time comparing the rum to the edge and lapua. Everyone's accuracy loads fall into within less than 100fps of each others when using the 300gr smk. Not enough difference to justify dealing with a wildcat IMHO.

Send Bugholes a pm. He has a buisness that keeps tons of blanks in stock from various manufacturers. No wait time and very good prices. There is a thread on here somewhere that has their inventory listed. I would also suggest cut rifled barrels such as broughton or rock creek. And the 338rum will have all the power you need. I have ran the numbers multiple time comparing the rum to the edge and lapua. Everyone's accuracy loads fall into within less than 100fps of each others when using the 300gr smk. Not enough difference to justify dealing with a wildcat IMHO.

Broughton barrels are pull button rifled. Bartlein barrels are cut rifled maybe you mixed them up.

Bartlein is my first choice but wait times are up to a year. Last I checked Brux had short lead times and Norman makes a very good barrel.

James

Might want to do some research as to what you want as far as amount of groves, 5C, etc.

Krieger's are usually 3 grove

Broughton's 5 C

Hart is a 6 Grove

and some are making 3 grove too.

I just ordered a Hart and got it in 6 weeks.

Jeff

Anyone have any thoughts on E.R. Shaw? They are pretty low cost. Don't know lead times though.

tCarter,

I used a Shaw in a 338-06 I built up many years ago. They're a lot less expensive than many of the others that have been mentioned in this thread. You generally get what you pay for. Just a thought.

Just built another 338-06 last year, and this one wears a Hart.

tCarter,

I used a Shaw in a 338-06 I built up many years ago. They're a lot less expensive than many of the others that have been mentioned in this thread. You generally get what you pay for. Just a thought.

Just built another 338-06 last year, and this one wears a Hart.

Good to know, thank you. A friend of mine has been looking hard at these. I will let him know as well.

I really wouldn't sweat it too much. It would be hard go wrong with any of the mentioned barrel makers. You might check out the reported advantages of the different rilfings. I just got a Broughton 5C 30 cal that I ordered about two months ago. Still waiting on the 6.5 I ordered at the same time but in no hurry. They usually get the 30 cals out quicker.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.