? about the wind

7mm mag sendero

I have been shooting long range for the past 6 months and by far the big problem i have like many others is where to read the wind????.I know a few gentlemen that read the wind right at the muzzle and have good luck.BUT not me.Can anyone give me any advice on the right way to read the wind I do have a wind meter. thank you for all your time and input:):)

I have been shooting long range for the past 6 months and by far the big problem i have like many others is where to read the wind????.I know a few gentlemen that read the wind right at the muzzle and have good luck.BUT not me.Can anyone give me any advice on the right way to read the wind I do have a wind meter. thank you for all your time and input:):)

The best way that I know is to read the wind all up and down the range or distance between
you and the target.

A good way to practice is to go to the range and before you go down to place your targets
is to look downrange and pick several intermediate distances and guess the wind by looking
at tree leaves, bushes,and grass and write your guesses down. don't use your wind meter
until you get to these distances and then check the wind with the meter and see how well
you did.

When you get back to the fireing line test the wind there and then you can get a good overall
picture of the total wind effect.

You can use a piece of paper and make a work sheet with a strait line down the middle and
right in the wind speed and direction at several points and then armed with this info
try to dope the wind effects on the bullet @ the POI.

It sounds complicated but it's not. what you are doing is training your eye to read the wind
and verfying with the wind meter.

Obviously you can't do this while hunting but you can take a reading at the shooting position
and then read the other signs that you see to the target/game.

I try to find three indicators. shooting position, intermediate and the point of impact. that
will give me a good overall picture of wind effects but more can be used especially if the wind
is from different directions.

If you use a spotting scope you should also learn to read mirage. (Heat waves rising from the
ground up making the target appear somewhere that it isn't).

Just a few pointers and if you do a search on doping/reading the wind you should come with
lots of post.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.