Abolt upgrades

I load for my buddies gun and is exactly the same as yours. We had the exact same problem with it not shooting anything accurately. What I learned was that the seating depth was super critical. I loaded the bullets 15 thousandths off the land and bingo 1.25" at 200m. They don't fit in the magazine, but he loads the accurate load in the chamber and the less accurate loads in the magazine. BTW we were ready to wrap that gun around a tree, it was that bad.

Rifle came in from Bartlein today, so now its going out to Garland Gilbreath with Tripple G gunsmith to do the stock work and see if he can open it up for me. if not i'll do the McMillian. Hopefully I can get it back in time to find a quick load for it this deer season. It opens a month from today! Also it looks like it is going to be a LONG rifle with the 9" suppressor hung on the end of it!!! Thanks for everyone's help with this!

Attachments

• rifle.jpg
    rifle.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 90
  • rifle 2.jpg
    rifle 2.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 99
The factory stock will work fine. Browning used to offer a rifle called the A-Bolt II Carbon Stalker, that left the factory with a factory stock that had a Christiansen Arms full-bull carbon fiber barrel on it.

Unless you just want the McMillan, it is not necessary.

In the factory wood stock, that's a good looking rifle. Just my opinion.

That is one sweet looking rifle. The contrast between the action barrel and stock blends really well. Hopefully you get it back and that first load is MOD Accurate. I'd take a 1MOA load and go hunting rather than sit at home during deer season waiting on a perfect load.

Just came in from Tripple G gunsmith in Texas. I like the way it looks, he and bartlein both did a good job. We have a modern gun doe only season this coming weekend so I'd like to try it out. Going to mount a zeiss conquest 4-14x50 on it tonight and load up some 165g tsx with h4350 and see if it group good enough for this weekend. Thanks for all the help throughout this!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 104
Just came in from Tripple G gunsmith in Texas. I like the way it looks, he and bartlein both did a good job. We have a modern gun doe only season this coming weekend so I'd like to try it out. Going to mount a zeiss conquest 4-14x50 on it tonight and load up some 165g tsx with h4350 and see if it group good enough for this weekend. Thanks for all the help throughout this!

Now that's a good looking rifle! Classic old-school custom with the walnut stock, blued action, and stainless barrel. What contour barrel did you go with? I have been considering putting a slightly heavier aftermarket barrel on my A-Bolt II, and removing the modified Remington barrel off of it. Not for accuracy reasons, but to put a slightly heavier contour than the magnum sporter for more weight and less whip for long range shooting.

Do you already have a pic rail and a good set of rings?

This is what I have on mine...

EGW 1-Piece Picatinny-Style 20 MOA Elevated Base Browning A-Bolt Long

I use these aluminum, low height, 1" rings for my Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50, which is virtually the same scope as yours. It's a good fitment with the EGW 20MOA rail.

TPS TSR Picatinny-Style Rings Matte

Thanks for the compliment, it is a #4 bull sporter. I already had tally 1 piece rings for it. I know it is probably not as strong as a pic rail on my AR's for now.

As I was tightening the top of the rings down tonight I snapped one of the screws. I had the wheeler fat wrench set to 35 in/lbs and was tightening in an X pattern a little at a time to pull the rings down smoothly. I'll talk to Tally tomorrow to see what they have to say. I might still have to switch to different height rings though. I only have .0015 clearance between the scope and barrel as measured with feeler gauges.

Thanks again for all the feed back

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 93
Thanks for the compliment, it is a #4 bull sporter. I already had tally 1 piece rings for it. I know it is probably not as strong as a pic rail on my AR's for now.

As I was tightening the top of the rings down tonight I snapped one of the screws. I had the wheeler fat wrench set to 35 in/lbs and was tightening in an X pattern a little at a time to pull the rings down smoothly. I'll talk to Tally tomorrow to see what they have to say. I might still have to switch to different height rings though. I only have .0015 clearance between the scope and barrel as measured with feeler gauges.

Thanks again for all the feed back

I had that happen with a DNZ Gamereaper 1-piece base/rings. One broke off, one stripped-out and I had to drill-out the screw heads and it banged-up the top cap pretty bad. I bought a new top-cap, and 4 new screws, and told them what happened, and that I kept having problems with screws breaking, they sent me a whole big bag of screws incase it happened again. Also, they gave me the proper torque specs for their products. Each brand of rings, bases, and some scopes all have their own individual torque specs. So, you might be over-torquing them. Since getting the proper torque specs and new screws I have not had a single issue with my base.

That's a long way of explaining that even at 35 inch-pounds, you might still be over-torquing for the materials and alloys they use. Contact Talley and see what they recommend.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.