A word of thanks

Nobody

I rarely post but lurk quite a bit. I have a 264 Win Mag Sendero II - purchased it probably 5 or 6 years ago and unbelievably, never worked up a load for it. Oh I'd try now and again at load development but I have some other rifles I shoot more so I wasn't in a big hurry. Still, I grew frustrated at not being able to develop a good load. Plus, as many of you know, 264s are not easy guns to develop.

I ran several online searches and kept coming back to the information you guys have posted and FINALLY, I was able to develop a load which I think will be a good one. 66.0 gr Retumbo behind a 140 AMAX. Quickload says it's going a little over 2900 - not blazing (I'd like to get 3000) but doggoned accurate. If it wouldn't have been for all you folks, I think you'd see a 264 Win Mag in the "For Sale" section.

Honestly, I think this site is THE place for 264 load data.

Thanks all!

Glad to see that things finally worked out for you.
There are times when all you want to do is pull your hair out,
but sooner or later thing do work out!lightbulb

I had your same rifle and after a bit of trigger work and a bedding job it shot like a dream. I was also shooting 140 amax but they were going around 3220fps. Made for a real great antelope rifle! I was using 69.0 gr. of H-1000.

I am glad that things worked out for you as well. Sometimes load development ia a breeze, and sometimes it is a chore. I have had guns that were 2 seconds away from being in the classifieds, like you said, then something would click. The 264 is a intriguing caliber, that has a amazing parent case. I have pondered one for myself from time to time. This website has a tremendous " Braintrust" , and somebody here has shot, or shoots just about anything that can be shot. Welcome aboard!

I rarely post but lurk quite a bit. I have a 264 Win Mag Sendero II - purchased it probably 5 or 6 years ago and unbelievably, never worked up a load for it. Oh I'd try now and again at load development but I have some other rifles I shoot more so I wasn't in a big hurry. Still, I grew frustrated at not being able to develop a good load. Plus, as many of you know, 264s are not easy guns to develop.

I ran several online searches and kept coming back to the information you guys have posted and FINALLY, I was able to develop a load which I think will be a good one. 66.0 gr Retumbo behind a 140 AMAX. Quickload says it's going a little over 2900 - not blazing (I'd like to get 3000) but doggoned accurate. If it wouldn't have been for all you folks, I think you'd see a 264 Win Mag in the "For Sale" section.

Honestly, I think this site is THE place for 264 load data.

Thanks all!

Chart says that with a 140 Nozler and 63.5 of Retumbo you should be getting 3026 fps...????

I'm pretty sure your running more than 2900fps with that load! But it's the accuracy that counts. My 6.5-300 win mag runs 3350fps+ with around 73gr of retumbo (don't have exact data in front of me) so conservatively I'd say your probably running above 3050fps.

I'm not overly concerned with throat erosion or barrel burnout but if I can keep a barrel a 100 - 200 rounds longer by shooting at let's say, 2950 - 3000 then I think it's a good thing as long as the accuracy is there. I used QuickLoad and I think it said I was getting 2924 or so. My COAL is 3.355 but my measurement to the ogive, which I think is more accurate is 2.678.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts