A time to be American - GM Trucks

Sounds like if you are in the union you believe that you are tougher and more able to withstand cold temps than guys that are not in the union. That some how guys in the union are more independent than guys who have jobs that are not union. The other thing that I gather is that any company that has employees does not care if they make money as long as they can hold their employees down.

Here is what I know. Every time I see guys working on a union road job, there is usually 3 guys watching to every guy working. I expect that the one guy working has not been on the job long enough to be protected by the union so he must work for his money. I know that as a small business owner I have to work for every dollar I get. I know that the free market dictates how much I can bid and get a job. That my company must do a good job in order to get a recommendation for future work. That if I do not pay my employees enough money they will get a job with one of my competitors. I know that my crew will do three time the work of a union crew and with less errors. If you guys in the union had to produce enough product to pay your wages and still have money left over for profit for the employer, you would not have a job.

Steve

Dear Mr Crane..

."Sick leave, vacation pay, retirement pay, holiday pay, night differential pay, hazard pay, overtime pay, the list go's on and on." pay , pay , pay.....all you are concerned about is pay......you should have added health care to this also.....

This is exactly the liberal, entitlement mentality and attitude that is closing down companies all over this country. Just why do you think you are entitled to all this? Don't you realize that all the benefits you get are paid for out of your employers pocket? That it has to be added to the total salary package? That is why the average auto workers pay is up around 75 dollars an hour, and that is why the average vehicle price had gone up about a thousand percent in the last 20 yrs, to the point that they cant sell enough of their product to make a profit and now the companies are broke. These unions have cut off their noses to spite their faces...Holding up government workers and police officers as a reason to have unions is a joke. That's why we are paying 47cents to mail a letter these days and why it takes 30 mins to get a response when we call 911 in most places in this country.

And just how is it that you know where I'm from by my anti union attitude? It has nothing to do with where I'm from , but what I belive in. I grew up in South Alabama, where I was fortunate enough to learn that NOBODY should get a free ride, that you should have to work for every thing you make, and earn everything you get, that entitlements make you dependent on the gov for more of the same and creates a class of lazy , unproductive leaches that suck off the bloated carcass of the government, but that can be expected to vote democrat come election time.

I bet I can nail down a thing or two about you from your pro union attitude.....you have never ran a business and had to make a payroll.

Sincerely. Allen Jones...proudly NON union

This is a tough topic. I was going to pass on it but changed my mind. I drive a Ford Excursion as my hunting and towing vehicle. I decided three weeks ago to buy a new/used truck. I looked and looked and I decided to fix the few things on my truck that needed fixing and keep it. See I buy vehicles that fit my needs. I have found that my Excursion is the best vehicle for me for hunting, fishing, towing and family vacations. It has been labeled as a gas hog and excessive but I really love it. It is great for me but it really doesnt make a lot of sense for most people. My daily driver is a VW with a TDI engine and I get 42+ mpg. I love it. My wifes daily driver is an Audi A4 all done up. I have always tried to spend my money in my community. I believe in buying local. I buy meat, cheese, milk and veggies from local people. I buy all I can from logal people. When it comes to cars and trucks I buy what makes sense. You cannot do much better than an Excursion. You cannot do better than a VW TDI for commuting and you cannot do better than an all wheel drive Audi that get 30 mpg for the wife.

If the big 3 would make a car that did 42+ mpg and last 250,000 miles or more I would buy it as soon as my VW is dead but they don't.

If the big 3 made an all-wheel drive 140mph rocket that got 30mpg or more like my wifes Audi I would buy it. They don't.

I don't want to see all those people in the auto industry lose their jobs. I don't mind lending them money. I would like to replace my VW and Audi with an American (buy local in a global market) car. I hope they make something that fits my needs in the future because I will buy it. Until then I am happy to support them with a loan so they can restructure and get things back to where they need to be.

Now banks - I cannot stand them and I don't want to loan them any money. But thats another topic.

You're right Allen I should have included health benefits. Your statement of all I'm concerned about is pay is confusing. Of course that's all I'm concerned about, it's why I have a job. I enjoy my job very much but I wouldn't continue to go in without pay. I'm glad you recognize the fact that the salary figures typically quoted are for the entire package and not what the worker actually brings home. My statement reference where you're from meant that certain area's of the country are historically more unionized than others. It's kinda hard to blame all of the ill's of this country on unions when only about 12% of the nations work force is unionized. I could just as easily say your non-union stance comes from you running the company instead of working for it, but I won't make that assumption as you should not make assumptions about me like political party affiliation.

I knew I should have stayed out of this for the simple fact I don't have the time or inclination to devote to this topic on this message board; I come here for one reason, long range hunting. I just got sucked in. Another reason is you will very very rarely get someone to change their perspective on something they think they are an authority on even if they are not; so the effort is futile. Hell, let's talk about stem cell research next or maybe crop subsidies. I gotta get to work and make some extra money so I can buy 8lbs. of RETUMBO without my wife finding out. Thanks for keeping it civil.

You're right Allen I should have included health benefits. Your statement of all I'm concerned about is pay is confusing. Of course that's all I'm concerned about, it's why I have a job. I enjoy my job very much but I wouldn't continue to go in without pay. I'm glad you recognize the fact that the salary figures typically quoted are for the entire package and not what the worker actually brings home. My statement reference where you're from meant that certain area's of the country are historically more unionized than others. It's kinda hard to blame all of the ill's of this country on unions when only about 12% of the nations work force is unionized. I could just as easily say your non-union stance comes from you running the company instead of working for it, but I won't make that assumption as you should not make assumptions about me like political party affiliation.

I knew I should have stayed out of this for the simple fact I don't have the time or inclination to devote to this topic on this message board; I come here for one reason, long range hunting. I just got sucked in. Another reason is you will very very rarely get someone to change their perspective on something they think they are an authority on even if they are not; so the effort is futile. Hell, let's talk about stem cell research next or maybe crop subsidies. I gotta get to work and make some extra money so I can buy 8lbs. of RETUMBO without my wife finding out. Thanks for keeping it civil.

I'm with you on the Retumbo.

Steve

Buying American is More Important Now than ever

I've always bought American products because it really does effect the economy. The last 10 years of consumers buying anything BUT American products is what really caused this financial collapse. Look at the TRILLIONS of dollars EACH year that go overseas to pay for imported stuff. I realize the Congress giving tax breaks to companies that reinvest in overseas manufacturing contributes greatly to the problem. And the UAW also contributes to the problem. But the fact is, EVERY time you buy an import, YOU are costing some American his/her job.

That said, I bought my 2008 Silverado 3500 in Dec. My wife got 2008 Jeep last Feb. We did our share.

Re: Buying American is More Important Now than ever

I've always bought American products because it really does effect the economy. The last 10 years of consumers buying anything BUT American products is what really caused this financial collapse. Look at the TRILLIONS of dollars EACH year that go overseas to pay for imported stuff. I realize the Congress giving tax breaks to companies that reinvest in overseas manufacturing contributes greatly to the problem. And the UAW also contributes to the problem. But the fact is, EVERY time you buy an import, YOU are costing some American his/her job.

That said, I bought my 2008 Silverado 3500 in Dec. My wife got 2008 Jeep last Feb. We did our share.
Your truck was made in canada or mexico,im sure the guys that built it appreciate your purchase.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.