A Squeaker at Quantico

Buffalobob

What a Squeaker!!!

We had the June Quantico F-class match. I thought that I had a good sure fire plan and let the kids shoot first this time. I was only concerned about being beat by Cynthia being as Phil takes after me and is somewhat lackadaisical and manana in his approach to these kinds of things. I had made a mirage shield out of an old venetian blind slat and some Velcro stickers being as there had been some complaints about barrel heat and mirage. I also brought along a couple of extra sunshades extensions. The kids only used the mirage shield but didn't screw on the extra sunshades like I did.

I nearly had a good lead over Cynthia when she was scored a miss at 900. Unfortunately, Steve got to looking at the target when he took it down and discovered that there was a double hole and then we found the paster that had fallen off actually had a hole in it and was "knocked" off. So instead of being scored a "0", she was awarded a "10". Phil got to experimenting around and decided to shoot without a rear bag at 900 yards and dropped about a point a shot. His average per shot points were about 8.3. That was about 15 points he dropped experimenting around and trying to shoot off his fist. Unfortunately for me, he went back to the heavy sand rear bag and decided concentrate at 1000 yards and shot a 180 with 3Xs with an average score of 9 points per shot. At the end of the day I was happy to have squeaked by with a one point advantage.

It was a great day. I was happy Phil was experimenting around and trying to figure out good hunting techniques. I was happy that a another father brought his son for his first time competition at 1K. I find it interesting that the difference between a heavy sand filled rear bag and your fist is about 0.5 MOA. I knew from my experiments that the little light poly filled bags I use for hunting are not as accurate as the heavy rabbit ear bag.

Dirtball won again and I enjoyed shooting with him. At one time he had run 5 Xs in a row. I tried not to distract him by coaching him while he was making Xs. I did goof him up when the doe grazed across the range while he was shooting. Apparently, the doe has a fawn somewhere in the woods next to the rifle range being as she was seen several times during the day.

Results

1.David Dye 6.5-284 479 15x
2.Mike Scherr 300 WM 465 10x
3.Carlos Macaraeg 243 464 6x
4.Ted Herbert 6,5-284 462 10x
5.Brian Metz 300 WM 457 9x
6.Dave Conrath 308 455 8x
7.David Brower 300 WM 452 9x
8,George Glaize 300 WM 449 6x
9.Mark Matsu 308 448 10x
10.Doug Lewis 308 447 6x
11.Jim Collier 308 443 7x
12.Phil Collier 308 442 3x
13.Steve Vincent 308 440 5x
14.Steve Mullins 308 439 7x
15.Cynthia Collier 308 439 1x
16.Taylor White 308 428 4x
17.George Ortiz 308 425 2x
18.William Vincent 308 420 4x
19.Jim Hughes 300WM 418 2x

Congrats on a good family day. Glad to see you beat that little girl....this time. Did you retorque her action screws as I suggested?:)

Eddy,

Dave and I asked about the July schedule for when you would be in Virginia and Steve said that the Marines would have the range all month and there were no days free to be scheduled. Too bad.

Thats okay. I am still going to do some shooting in VA. My sister's place in the orange/gordonsville area has a powerline that lets me get some loong shots from mountain to mountain. If the neighbors give me permission again I am going to do some mile plinking.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts