A short range toy...........

goodgrouper

Ok ok, so this isn't a long range toy but thought it would be worth a thread. It might still be interesting?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

This morning I went out to shoot in the tropical heat wave (5 degrees) and tried to hold together some nice groups with my new br rig despite the shivering. Good news was that there was very little wind. Bad news was the cold, and intermittent mirage.

Started off at 100 yards and tried H322 and 66 grain Cheeks bullets with fed 205gm primers. The 1-13.5" four groove Krieger shot all charges pretty well, but one in particular really shined. However, I shot the first four shots into one hole and the fifth went looking for a different home.
I hate when that happens! It even felt like a good shot and surprised me when I looked down range to see the goof.

H322 got up to 3322 for speed but I could tell the gun wanted more. This barrel will probably need 3400 to really shine.

Here is the best H322 group (minus the flyer of course). I guess it's not too bad considering my brass isn't fully fireformed yet. The first four shots measure .082" then the fifth opened up to dang near 10 inches. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I call this the Homer Simpson group. Deeoowwhh!
homersimpsongroup.jpg

Then I tried N133. It shot a little slower but my gun seemed to like it better across the board. It got up to 3315 but was still extremely mild. Could have been the 5 degree heat! Anyhow, here is the best group fired with N133. It goes .180":
n133.jpg

Here is a pic of the setup. Can you see the icecicles forming on the wind flags? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
downrange.jpg

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Here is a pic of the gun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Viper action LBRP, Mcmillan edge stock 80% black, 10% gray, 10% yellow. Jewell 2 oz trigger. Leupold 36x br scope. Stiller rings. Seb coaxial rest and rear bunny ear bag.
toyprofile.jpg

And here is a pic of the finish of the barrel. It cools quicker than polished finishes and is a little more unique than bead blasting. I have no idea how this is done.
closeupbarrel.jpg

The rest is a Seb rest and it functions wonderfully. It is smoother than a Farley and costs less. I also think it is a better design engineeringly speaking. It will convert from left handed to right handed in about 15 seconds! Very smooth and no backlash or drag in the joystick. I highly recommend them!

Now if we can get above freezing I might be able to really wring this gun out. It's too cold to load at the range right now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

jeez, talk about whining about the cold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Nice rig.

Intermittent mirage?? Shooting over that tarmac would attract mirage like a cup is a magnet for a hockey puck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have to shoot through brown reeds/cat tails and its way bad in this sub tropical weather.

I don't know or remember the cartridge your shooting?

[ QUOTE ]
Shooting over that tarmac would attract mirage like a cup is a magnet for a hockey puck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good analogy. But tarmack sure is flat and level!

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know or remember the cartridge your shooting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it is a 6mm ppc with a .262" neck diameter.

Sebastian makes one heck of a rest don't he, plus he is one heck of a nice guy to boot. Eats sleeps and breaths shooting. Can't get any better than that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I agree. He is a super nice guy and makes one fine rest. He does need a US distributor though. Anybody want to volunteer? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

One interesting thing I found with the Seb rest:
I had Seb send it assembled in a manner so that when I moved the joystick up, the rest would move up because I thought that would make things simple and easy. Then I get out to the range and start using it and it was like trying to learn to walk again. My brain might want the crosshair to go up, so I would always try to move the joystick down like the stick on a plane. I had it set up the way I thought I would like it and then I come to find out that I wanted it reversed! I had to sit there and concentrate and think out loud to get it to move the correct way! I think if you're a bag squeezer, you would want the seb reversed and if you're a knob tweeker, you would want the rest to move up when you move the joystick up.

Which way do you like yours?

Goodgrouper,
I use that finish on lots of different metal work, its pretty simple to do. First polish the metal, second take a palm vibrating sander with a coarse grit paper, 80 works good. Lightly let the sander make the swirls around the metal, dont over do it or it will take away from the effects. In the sun light the metal will shimmer with colors of the rainbow. I did it to a BMG reciever and hot blued it, really turned out neat.

just another way to jazz up a pretty piece!

I love the 6 PPC round.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.