A scirroco thru his main beam

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by DanMan, Jul 28, 2010.

1. DanMan

DanMan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]Ever have a fear of shooting one of the antlers off of your trophy? Well that almost
    happened to me. I am fortunate that the bullet only put a hole thru it instead of busting it totally off. A couple of years ago I got on a big Wyoming bull above timberline. Cutting across the opposite slope from me he paused broadside at 642 yds. I hit him behind the shoulder 1st shot but didn't knock him down. As he was
    moving on away I sent more lead his way but really couldn't tell where I hit. He was moving and in the excitement I totally forgot to re-range my target. Did I mention that I was excited? 200 yards later he laid down and expired. As we road up to him there was not any shrinkage this time but we immediately saw that I had put one though his main beam below his 5th point. It makes for a real conversation piece having a clear bullet hole thru the horn but I would of been sick if it had busted it off.

2. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that it didn't splinter or blow it, kinda cool it didn't though. Good thing he had some reasonable mass!!

3. sniperjwt

sniperjwt Well-Known Member

nice, i guess a scirroco needs a little more than an antler to open up huh

4. DanMan

DanMan Well-Known Member

Yea. Good thing that I wasn't shooting a 338 huh. I am now shooting bergers with this gun, wonder what they would have done to it ?
    This pic shows the exit hole which has considerable more damage as it should.[​IMG]

5. REDHEAD

REDHEAD Well-Known Member

Looks like an in house accidental discharge to me.:D

6. midwesthunter

midwesthunter Well-Known Member

LOL

I think you got pretty lucky

7. TheHardWay

TheHardWay Well-Known Member

LOL my buddy did this exact same thing to an elk he shot....he was even using a Scirroco!

8. sambo3006

sambo3006 Well-Known Member

That is pretty neat. Can't fault a guy for trying to put more lead in an elk after a good first hit. They can be tough critters. I'd have shot again as well. Glad the antler stayed intact.

9. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

Lucky shot in that it didn't bust it all to hell.

10. 300WSMMAD

300WSMMAD Well-Known Member

Try a Hartebest vs 458 Lott at the base of the horn !!!!
    SOB still kept running too one of the most tougest animals I have every had the honour of hunting, not the prettiest but god dam tough.
    A long, sad, and annoying story to my most treasured hunting experiences.
    I will find a picture and post it.
    Al I can say is you were lucky oh and "dont worry about it your taxidermist will fix that!!!":rolleyes:

11. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

Not taking any delight in your misfortune but, I am looking forward to the pic.

12. DanMan

DanMan Well-Known Member

Thanks all. I'll be watching for the Hartebeast pic as well. I can only imagin
    your disappointment if it messed it up real bad. I know that I would have absolutely croaked if mine had busted off! For me this bull was a once in a lifetime
    7x7 scored 359. I had never even seen one this big while huntin before, probably never will again. I would have been looking for the pieces to put it back together.
    Anyway I narrowly missed that disaster.