A Scientific Basis For Evaluating Variable Crosswinds

I'll concede to G7 correlation Bryan showed. My software also follows, as I'm also comparing to the published G7 curve.

I see this as a glitch in use of an unmatched drag curve.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but changing only one variable at a time is not a requirement of sound experimentation practice. In fact, it is an extremely impractical approach to something as complicated as external ballistics where there are dozens of variables; it would take thousands of experiments to have all the data you need. In a well designed experiment you can change a few variables at once and still get very accurate correlations to trends and variable interactions as long as you know all of the conditions of all the variables for every sample.

KESTREL 5700 ELITE A/B

The above named unit is, so far, the very best instrument for determining a proper firing solution.

As discussed in the article, it gives you the most important wind, the wind at your firing position. The "downrange winds" are up to you to determine. And the Kestrel Elite also factors that wind strength and its angle into the ballistics of your round that you have (precisely) entered into its Applied Ballistics software.

If you or your guide/spotter has the time to use the Kestrel Elite your chances for a hit rise tremendously. Of course you will need a very good laser rangefinder. My own choice (for my budget) is the Bushnell ARC 1 Mile 10x binoculars.
If'n I had more cash I'd buy the Leica Geovid HD-R binoculars. For hunting the combination of binoculars and rangefinder means less weight and less fumbling with two tools.

Anyway, I think the state-of-the-art in firing solutions, despite the publicity around the clumsy Tracking Point device, is the Kestrel/AB meter and ballistic engine. A good guide should own one to increase client success. The Kestrel 5700 Elite/AB can do far more than the Tracking Point.

RETICLES-> If you desire to have a similar scope to the TP (that is affordable) you can get the Burris Eliminator III laser scope. It has a very helpful reticle for holding off for wind.
Personally I like the Tremor3 reticle that is specifically designed for holding for wind. Even the H59 reticle in my Bushnell ERS tactical scope has a great "Christmas tree" reticle for holding off for wind.

Eric B.

KESTREL 5700 ELITE A/B

The above named unit is, so far, the very best instrument for determining a proper firing solution.

As discussed in the article, it gives you the most important wind, the wind at your firing position. The "downrange winds" are up to you to determine. And the Kestrel Elite also factors that wind strength and its angle into the ballistics of your round that you have (precisely) entered into its Applied Ballistics software.

If you or your guide/spotter has the time to use the Kestrel Elite your chances for a hit rise tremendously. Of course you will need a very good laser rangefinder. My own choice (for my budget) is the Bushnell ARC 1 Mile 10x binoculars.
If'n I had more cash I'd buy the Leica Geovid HD-R binoculars. For hunting the combination of binoculars and rangefinder means less weight and less fumbling with two tools.

Anyway, I think the state-of-the-art in firing solutions, despite the publicity around the clumsy Tracking Point device, is the Kestrel/AB meter and ballistic engine. A good guide should own one to increase client success. The Kestrel 5700 Elite/AB can do far more than the Tracking Point.

RETICLES-> If you desire to have a similar scope to the TP (that is affordable) you can get the Burris Eliminator III laser scope. It has a very helpful reticle for holding off for wind.
Personally I like the Tremor3 reticle that is specifically designed for holding for wind. Even the H59 reticle in my Bushnell ERS tactical scope has a great "Christmas tree" reticle for holding off for wind.

Eric B.

I can add that next year things will get better too.

Doc,

I can't see how things can get much better with the Kestrel/AB Elite 5700 unless it wipes my nose too.

Perhaps the main thing I'd like to see is the Kestrel with some iteration of Bluetooth (i.e legacy version or new CONX version) be adopted by all of the better laser rangefinder manufacturers.
**That way after ranging with a Bluetooth equipped LRF the Kestrel could instantly show the firing solution. No range distance needs to be manually entered. You have made a start in this area in partnering with Bushnell and the CONX Sportsman LRF.

It's getting several manufacturers on board with this that is the problem. Also the Kestrel unit would not have to be "aimed" at the target to get the angle as the LRF would (should) have an angle compensation program built in, as is the case with my Bushnell ARC 1 Mile binoculars.

STANDARDS: Kestrel needs to work with the LRF industry to set standards for them going forward. No other hand held device does what the Kestrel/AB Elite 5700 does. You are the industry leader and as such should lead the standardization effort for LRF design in communicating with the Kestrel/AB units.

Doc,

I can't see how things can get much better with the Kestrel/AB Elite 5700 unless it wipes my nose too.

Perhaps the main thing I'd like to see is the Kestrel with some iteration of Bluetooth (i.e legacy version or new CONX version) be adopted by all of the better laser rangefinder manufacturers.
**That way after ranging with a Bluetooth equipped LRF the Kestrel could instantly show the firing solution. No range distance needs to be manually entered.

It's getting several manufacturers on board with this that is the problem. Also the Kestrel unit would not have to be "aimed" at the target to get the angle as the LRF would (should) have an angle compensation program built in.

STANDARDS: Kestrel needs to work with the LRF industry to set standards for them going forward. No other hand held device does what the Kestrel/AB Elite 5700 does. You are the industry leader and as such should lead the standardization effort for LRF design.

Already in progress. Just wait till next year.

Thanks Doc. your prompt response is heartening evidence that hunters are being listened to, although I'm sure the military has had a hand in things in a very big way as well.

As a competitive shooter in PRS and other long range matches it's always nice to have as much data as possible on hand before a match starts. Even though we are not permitted to use LRFs and weather meters during a match pre-match data always helps.
Collecting that data quickly is important.

Eric B.

Thanks Doc. your prompt response is heartening evidence that hunters are being listened to, although I'm sure the military has had a hand in things in a very big way as well.

As a competitive shooter in PRS and other long range matches it's always nice to have as much data as possible on hand before a match starts. Even though we are not permitted to use LRFs and weather meters during a match pre-match data always helps.
Collecting that data quickly is important.

Eric B.

We have some things in store, especially for PRS and Pro Shooters. I know we will most likely have at least 1 release at SHOT. But more as the year goes along.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.