A question for you Smiths out there (A-Bolt)

Slopeshunter

I have a question that maybe some of you gunsmiths out there may be able to help me out with.

I have a browning a-bolt that I want to put a new barrel on chambered in 280AI, then add a light stock to try to make somewhat of a light mountain rifle.

Something I've heard from a few people is "don't use the browning action, find a remington 700 action and use that instead".

My personal feeling is that I've already got the browning action, so why not just use it.

I'm also wondering what the weight of the browning action might be, and if it would be possible for a smith to trim the weight down at all (looking at the bolt, it doesn't look like it could be fluted).

After all this rambling, I guess my questions are:

1. Should I just use the browning action?
2. What does it weight?
3. How much weight could be taken off of the action?

Tks in advance.

You could put it in an Browning Eclipse stock. Get a hunting contour barrel. Worked well with my 6br.

But I did have to find a gunsmith who could replace an A-Bolt barrel.They're not meant to be replaced(glued in), and he had to cut/quarter the barrel from the tennon.
James Kobe did mine very well. http://www.angelfire.com/mn3/jkobe/

[ QUOTE ]
They're not meant to be replaced(glued in), and he had to cut/quarter the barrel from the tennon.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats weird i just replaced my second a bolt barrel and both came out just like a remington barrel. a little heat and unscrewed them.

d-a

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts