A question for you guys

crowsnest2002

So I've been debating on what caliber to make my kid's/ my turk mauser. I've put all the work into it myself reutilizing the original wood stock with a left over 40x stock. I've fashioned a new bolt handle and had the local welder weld it on (with heat paste covering inside and out of the bolt). I've stripped all the furniture off of it. I've fashioned a receiver wrench for this project which worked awesome. Took the old barrel off... So now the main dilemma. What caliber. I've heard a lot of talk about turk receivers not up to the snuff for the higher cup. cartridges. The receiver is K.Kale large receiver small thread, it has the 3 bolt lugs. I was trying to consider cartridges based off of availability of reloading supplies and standard off the shelf supply. The rifle is for my daughters to use when they get bigger, and also a little for myself as well to mess around with. Probably the cartridge should be based around varmints and deer.

So what do you all think I should chamber this in? Just looking for ideas.
xbzonl.jpg

2utg6ci.jpg

2wpqtfb.jpg

2m5xthy.jpg

2rel0k0.jpg

2s9ewjp.jpg

15p37dg.jpg

t8tgdk.jpg

With that long action I would seriously look at 25-06. Easy to reload and you can find ammo most places. Easy to shoot for the girls and fast enough for you to play with.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.