A parallax question for veteran shooters

But Bart, if I adjust that focus just right, and I move my eye around the reticule does not move on the target. But if I focus as some other plane, and I move my eye around, I see the cross hairs move on the target.

Like you, I pull my eye back until the image is slightly smaller than the eye piece, and I center the image in the eyepiece.
But if a person did not do that, and just looked and shot, the focus could be considered a way of reducing parallax caused inaccuracy.

So yes it is focus, but it can have an effect on the effect parallax has on accuracy.
Calling the focus "parallax adjustment" is a lot less silly than many common things.

Calling the focus "parallax adjustment" is a lot less silly than many common things.
Totally true; especially in the shooting sports.

That's a close relative of the "magazine" vs "clip" issue that's been around since the late 1800's. One holds the ammo then guides the ammo into the firearm chamber when the bolt closes and the other just holds ammo so it can be loaded into an internal part of the firearm.

Bart B yes my scope does not have parallax adjustment but the Factory can reset it & I had mine changed in the Custom Shop they adjust it to what ever range you want. Leupold does not even charge much for this. The previous posts tell the MAX parallax error between one set at 150 yds factory adjusted then reset to 200 yds & no I can't adjusted it.

Bart B yes my scope does not have parallax adjustment. . . .
Neither does any other scope. But its objective lens can be repositioned to focus the target image from a different range on the reticule. That lens is mounted in a threaded barrel with a lock ring; easy to do with a collimator and spanner wrench.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.