A new VX3 6.5-20X40 LR

distant1

Guys

I have just got my new TC pro hunter in 7mm rem mag and I am very pleased with it , I am considering putting the Vari X 3 6.5-20X40 scope from Leupold on it to finish off.

The rifle is sleek and lightwieght even with its thumbhole stock and I think the scope will both set it off as well as take advantage of what the 7mag can do at range , do any of you have this scope ? are you happy with it ? do you think it would be a good choice.

Thanks.

I have the 4.5-14x50 LR, and I built a rifle for a friend with the 4.5-14x40 LR. For what we do (50-500 yards) it's perfect. We have the B&C reticle as well, which I think is the best reticle out there for extending the range of an average hunter past the MPBR of thier rifle. It doesn't match the flat trajectory of the 7mm that well, though.

For a true long-range hunting scope, I'd probably get a VX3 with duplex Reticle and M1 turrets added by the custom shop.

I think 20x is too much for hunting deer sized game. I have never wanted any more magnification than the 14x.

I have one that I sent back for the M1 turrets and LOVE it. I know it's not the ABSOLUTE best scope in EVERY catagory, so settle down all you NF guys ready to pounce ;) For a lighter, good performing, moderately priced scope it sure gets my vote. The 30mm tube with 40mm objective is a great combination and transfers plenty of light for any need I've had. Plus it can be mounted nice and low keeping a sleek profile and a hany rifle.

If I had to do it again, I would only get the M1 on the elevation and keep the standard low profile knob on the windage. More for handling than anything. I don't currently use a PDA so windage is a swag most of the time anyway.

I don't think you would be disappointed.

Gene

Where are you going to hunt? 6.5 will be good in open country, but if you ever hunt in timber or heavy brush where an animal could present itself for your shooting pleasure close in, it may be to much magnification/ to little field of view. We tend to get caught up in higher magnification (myself included) but remember, military snipers can shoot waaay out there and seldom use anything more powerful than a 9 or 10 power.

I use a 4.5x14 LR M1 dial on top of my 338 win mag for elk hunting here in WA state.

Never had a problem with using it in the thick stuff. It in fact works quite well on running elk through the timber.

I set the scope on 5x to get full ocular view.

distant1,
The 6.5-20 is a nice scope. I have one on a .25-06 Sendero that my son has right now. Plenty of magnification for varmints and targets. I used to use it for deer hunting (with hounds) in N.C. and I have to admit when they were 100yds or less and running it got a bit crowded feeling in that scope. I have a Vari-X III 4.5-14X40 HD on my 700P in 7mmRemMag. I sent it back to Leupold and had the target knob put on the elevation turret about 10 yrs ago. I hunt and target shoot with it, and most of the time when hunting I'm shooting in the wind. At least that was the justification for just having the elevation knob converted over. The only thing I really dislike about it is the Heavy Duplex reticle when target shooting, it's great for lowlight deer hunting. I have no problem seeing the crosshairs. That 6.5-20 would compliment the 7Mag nicely! JohnnyK.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replys Guys

I will use this for open country hunting for deer , there isnt much thick stuff to mention down here where I live and I dont expect to be shooting much under 100 yards , once I work a load out out I think I will send it back and get a BDC turret made for it. I have another 7 mag in a custom that wears a 5.5-22x56 its an incredibly accurate rifle but not a lot of fun to carry too far in the heat on foot.

This TC is a lot lighter and I will be able to carry it all day , the 7 mag is such a great all round Cal with brilliant long range ability I wanted the scope to compliment it as well as use the extra magnification to assess Trophy quality for those times when I am standing off.

I own Several Leupolds and I have never had a bad experience with them so this decision was
an easy one.

Thanks again , once I get her fitted up and shooting I will post a couple of photos so you can see how it came out.

Cheers for now

I have a 6.5-20 but it's the VXL model. This is a great open country scope I have mounted on my Edge. I too had the M1 turrets installed and think this is the way to go. The only thing I don't like about mine is the VH reticle it has, that reticle is basically useless to me and I don't use it. FYI, they can't change out the reticles in the VXL models. I of course found that out after the scope was purchased.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.