A New Build

szeitner

Okay, I am looking to build a new rifle platform. I want to use it primarily for long range coyote hunting, 500-800 yds. I don't want anything that is going to cause severe damage to the pelts, and on occasion, I will use it for deer and antelope, and prefer to stay away from anything 7mm or above. What do you suggest and why, and what sort of loads are you using?

I have a savage la that I put a 6-284 douglas bbl on and its pretty close to perfect IMO. Some will gripe about bbl life but I dont punch paper with it or shoot rocks so I dont care. Also douglas are cheap. I use a bunch of retumbo and 115 vlds for deer and it will shoot from front shoulder and smash the hip coming out with a 6" exit so its tits for deer. I have an 8 twist barrel which I guess is marginal for 115s but it works for me. Shoots stupid flat at about 3050 from a 28" tube. Add a lightweight vmax and itd do what you wish.
Main reason I went with the 284 was the horsepower to push the 115 hard enough to stabilise the 115. If I did it over I might use a 6x47.

Good ole .243 will get it done. But you may want to consider the 6mmbr with 105 a-max or the 107SMK. These will get ya big stuff. Though now that I think about it, this would be a good candidate for the 6.5mm line of stuff out there (6.5 Creedmore, 260 Rem, 6.5x47 Lapua).

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.