A-MAX

I live in the bay area but my family has a house on clear lake so I am up there almost every weekend exploring all the different public land spots, and am getting to know cache creek very well. We should go shooting sometime.
I guess if you could get the brush load to shoot within a couple of inches of the a-max load you should be fine for 100 yard work, but would probably be pushing it if you had a 200+ yard oppertunity which very well could happen. I know from experience that these blacktail are usually jogging a couple hundred yards in front of you and the only shot you may have is when you see one run up over a ridge which doesn't give you much time to switch loads. I would suggest that you just stick with the a-max and if you end up with a close oppertunity shoot the deer in the neck.

Awww man that is too bad that you are way down there! I am up in the Eureka area. So that is about 4 or so hours away. Oh well maybe if you are up in the Eureka area some time we could go out to the SRA range. They have distances up to 650. I know it's not LONG range but long for me. Anyway it is good to hear that there is at least ONE other gun owner in california let alone the bay area! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Well good luck on them blacktails. They can be pretty tough to hunt sometimes. But just look for areas overlooking HUGE brush patches and then just sit and wait. You will spot them sooner or later. Expect shots from 500 yards and up. Most shots will be head or neck shots. If there is a single silvertip tree in the middle of the brush pay special attention to that specific tree. Somewhere near that tree is where the biggest buck in the patch will be laying.

Anyway that is just what I have learned from hunting the trinity alps wilderness area! I figure the same is true down that way but I am not sure. But what do I care I just joined the Air Force and am leaving on the 13th of Sep. so I won't get to rifle hunt this year anyway.

If you want to see some pics of wounds from a-max's search for a post titled "exit wounds". Ive shot deer from 30 to 720yds with them. They work, but you need to know there limitations.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.