A-MAX

Kenster-Boy

I am curious as to how the a-max performs on game? I am sure this has been covered before but I couldn't find it. How does it perform at 100 yards and 1000 yards?

I guess that I am looking for the ultimate hunting bullet that works perfectly at close and long range.

7mmag man,

The A-Max is NOT the bullet for close range hunting. It is pretty good for medium to long range in moderate velocity rounds but at close range I would not recommend it.

If your looking for a commercial bullet, I would recommend the Accubond for an all around bullet at close range and at long range.

I guess it all depends on what you plan to shot at and what you will be using for a power plant?

Kirby Allen(50)

I only use A-MAX in my 50 BMG - and that's a hotly debated topic in the 50 community. There is not much else to hunt with if you need a good .509 projectile. Any comments on the 750gr A-MAX for deer/antelope/elk/yotes? I'm sure they will do fine on gophers.

I´ve shot the 162 amax in a 7rm, works good but animals shot were not big. Could not recover any bullet- tey all exited with holes around 3 or 4 x cal diamter.

As fifty driver says, they are not a all round bullet, will work on small and soft animals but I would not shoot a big deer with them.

Scirocco´s have very good terminal ballistics but in general seem to shoot not as well as the accubonds.

of coursem the concept of ideal bullet will depend on the caliber, cartridge and game.

B1g_b0re,

The 750 A-Max is actually a great game bullet for deer and like sized game. While I have never used them on elk, I have heard that solid shoulder hit will result in severe meat damage to the offside???

Point being, its not a good idea to have a bullet fully expand when its packing +10,000 ft/lbs of energy or even 6000 lbs for that matter which is out to 1000 yards on most loads.

For chest shots I have seen results that performed quite well on elk size game but I have heard that solid shoulder hits resulted in some serious damage.

On deer size game, actual tissue damage is much less then one would expect. On yotes, its basically a 1/2" hole in and out with no expansion really at all on broadside shots. Antelope are also quite similiar.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I don't shoot the a-max myself but a buddy of mine does and I have liked their results. He shoots the 105gr 6mm and it actually did more damge and showed more rapid expansion on a prarie dog at 100 yds than a 55gr ballistic tip. I think they would be great for Oklahoma whitetails simply because of this rapid expansion. The key word here is "OKlahoma Whitetails", our deer out here have hides as thick a paper napkins so it doesn't take a whole lot to put one down. I think if you shot them into anything fairly thick or heavy skinned you will be in trouble. GO with what FIfty said and try the accubond's or at least a ballistic tip as long as it isn't a varmint grade one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks fifty,

I have a load for the accubond with my 7 RM but am getting a little tired of paying 30+ $ for a 100 So I am looking at shooting the A-Max's for target. What I am really trying to do is find an economical bullet for target and hunting that I can shoot all the time and get very formiliar with the load and how it drops at distances, etc... I always thought that the Hornaday bullets were expensive for some reason and so I never looked at their selection. Well I was breezing through the midway book and found out that the a-max's were CHEAP and have a huge BC for their size next to the accubonds, and the Berger 180's that I have been shooting.

PS. Our deer (columbia blacktail) are tiny around here. I have only seen maybe 3 or 4 deer ever that would go over 100 pounds.

working up a new 7RM and I use Hornady bullets pretty much for everything. I plan on using the 162grSST for situations that require an impact velocity 2900fps and below. That is basically a 100yd and further situation.

If I am definitely not hitting the animal until velocity is 2500fps or slower, then the AMax is just fine.

These are wonderful bullets but not designed for high impact velocities.

The BC between the SST and Amax shouldn't be too much. Accuracy are about equal in my Savage. Long range shooting will commence in a week or so to find out how they compare beyond 200yds.

Odds are good the Amax will get the nod for this years hunting as I don't intend to use it inside 250yds. I have other rifles for that.

Jerry

7mm mag man wrote: I am curious as to how the a-max performs on game?

Why would you use a target bullet on game? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Fiftydriver is right about the 160 Accubond. Awesome bullet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Because for the application I want, they work well.

You have to make the distinction about impact velocity. This is a LR hunting forum. At extended ranges, bullets have really slowed down. The 'tough' short range bullets may start to expand irratically causing problems on game.

Match bullets whether MK or AMax, are not made from wet tissue. They are actually quite strong. As strong as a Barnes X? Of course not. But I would never expect an X to expand reliablity under 2200fps. No issue with these match bullets.

Just use the right bullet for the impact velocity and game you plan on hunting. Today there is not really any bad bullets, just the wrong application of that bullet.

Jerry

Inadvertanly wound up using one up close last season 30 feet.
300 win mag 178grn a-max 2800 fps shoulder shot 180 lb. white tail disentergrated the lungs and removed the top of the heart.
Exited and kept on going.

That's good to hear. I am thinking that maybe I will load up some hornady A-max's and then find the best load for the A-max and then taylor my 150 gr. BT load so that it shoots the same place at 100 yards. Then I can load up with the short range bullets for busting brush and then when I get to my long range spot load up with the A-max's.

That sounds like my best idea so far.

That sounds like a good idea but you may have some trouble getting both loads to print in the same spot at 100 yards. If you have a scope with target turrets you could zero in the a-max then set the turrets to zero then sight in the other load, and leave the turrets alone. Then if you have a long shot oppertunity, just click the scope back to zero and you will be sighted in for the a-max, and make your adjusments from there. What part of California do you live/ hunt in.

Well jrdoty, Where in N. Cal are you located? I haven't seen any other people from my area on here but always looking for a long range guy to shoot with.

Yeah I hear what your saying but I shoot a VERY light 150 gr. Nosler BT load. It shoots consistently under 1 to 3/4 in at 100 so that is plenty good enough for brush busting. Since I have a FAIRLY slow twist (9.5) I am expecting the A-max's to shoot better loaded hot and 3050 feet a second should be plenty obtainable. So that means that they should zero about the same at 100 yards. But only some load development will tell.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.