A-Max on game

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by sure shot, Oct 28, 2005.

1. sure shot

sure shot Well-Known Member

I found an extremely accurate load in my 7mm Rem mag with the 162gr Amax backed by 57.5gr of IMR4350 in a Norma case with a rem mag primer. This load is shooting one hole groups 3 shot groups @100. This the first time I have used the Amax and must say I am impressed. I know a lot of you have used them on game and was wondering how explosive they are at around 2900fps on deer? Some times I come across very close shots ware I hunt. I should be ok as long as I stay off the shoulders right?

2. sewwhat89

sewwhat89 Well-Known Member

Correct! I would avoid shoulder shots all together, unless quartering away.

Stephen

3. Mysticplayer

Mysticplayer Writers Guild

I too have had wonderful luck with these Amax for accuracy. My recent penetration tests show they are very fragile. I would go boiler room, neck and head shots for close range. Penetration will not be good at close range.

I am considering the 162grSST for out to 300yds. Will hold together and equally accurate. Will use the Amax for LR.

Jerry

4. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

52gr A-max out of a 22-250AI I blew a big chunk out of a coyotes chest cavity.Dead before she hit the ground. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I shot a small mule deer buck yesterday at 270yds with the 162 A-Max out of my Rem 700 ADL 7mm RM, muzzle velocity was 2900+.
    Hit it in the spine farther back than I anticipated( buck was moving out of the area pretty fast and I apparently didn't lead it enough)the bullet tore up the tenderloins but the deer did drop in it's tracks.
    I do agree don't hit a major bone if you can help it.
    YMMV,
    Wayne aka WAMBO