A-Max in 7mm

duckmand

Hello,

I am new to this forum and was hoping to get some info on A-Max bullets. I found a good load that my rifle likes in a 162grn A-Max. Question is this bullet only a paper puncher or is it OK for big game including deer and elk? I know it is a match bullet, but I think the Berger VLD is also and it sounds like guys are having good success with those. Thanks in advance. D

DSCF0691.jpg

The 162 A-max would probably be a great deer bullet out to 1000yds but I would advise against shooting elk with it at any range , the A-max is a pretty fragile bullet and will likely not give good penitration on a animal as big as an elk. The 160 Accubond would be a great choice and alot of guys are having good accuracy with them.

I load a max bullets in my rifles for deer. 155's in my 308, 168's in my 300 wsm and 162's in my buddies 7 mags and I can tell you that the amax is the greatest deer bullet I have ever shot. It is not as explosive as match hollowpoints and penetrates well. I would be a little leary of shooting an elk with them though. Looks to me like you have the perfect deer load, just play with another bullet for elk.

If I remember Ill give you a report on the 162gr out of a 7stw on deer in about two weeks when I go back home for deer season.

I have shot lots of game from small deer and varmints up to red stag and wapiti (elk) with this bullet and it is a superb longrange bullet out of the medium 7mm's from the 7mm SAUM up to the STW. For the RUMs and bigger 7mm's the 180gn Berger is better as these cases have enough capacity to drive this higher BC bullet fast enough. The 162 A-Max works on Elk sized game so long as you don't use it closer than 300 - 400 yards. The 160 AB is better for ranges from up close to 500 yards, but if there's a bit of wind and the range is long, the A-Max comes into its own with its better BC. Works out between .635 to .660 out of the many barrels I've used them in. This bullet shoots in every gun I've tried it in. Even some fussy guns that only shoot the A-Max. It is the long range bullet for the short mags in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.