A-max for Warbrd

RETTRO

Thinkin' of tryin' the 208 grainer in my 30" barreled Sako. Kinda like the ballistics of this one..........The .648 coefficient might be fudging a bit but even if it is under some, it's still alot! Would like to take elk and deer to 600 yards with it. Any performance issues? I know the construction isn't that of other premium hunting bullets but I had hoped for more with the total weight and sectional density of this one for downrange performance. The barrel is 1 in 10, 4 groove and figure I can turn near 3200-3250 with proper load development-without too much pressure issue. I'm gettin' 3450 with the 180 gr Accubonds over 105 grains of Retumbo (as per Kirby's and his bro's pre-loading advice) with virtually no pressure signs whatsoever. Could probably juice it up some more but why? Accuracy is awesome as is. Groups average about 3/8" @100 these days. Any experience lately with the .308 A-max bullets are a plus and appreciate info that any may have.
Thanks a ton!

Johnnie

I would think you will easily get +3200 fps. My brother is just a hair under 3200 with his 26" barrel.

Watch for one thing however, velocity is not a friend of these bullets once it reaches much over 3200 fps. I have seen this in many different calibers of A-Max bullets, very similiar to the Berger bullets in that respect.

If you can get up to 3250 with good accuracy, I think you will be dealing with a very good long range load. I personally believe you may well be able to break 3300 fps with your rifle but again, accuracy may or may not be there.

Terminally, this bullet will be explosive at any range under around 300 yards. Keep that in mind. If your looking at an elk in your scope, make sure you give that bullet a clear path into the lungs or you may have problems.

On deer and pronhorn size game, you will not have any problem but tissue damage will be severe.

Kirby Allen(50)

'preciate the warning and advice/experience. Was gonna ask about the Berger VLD as well and this kills two birds quickly. I will begin with Retumbo, of course, and work on from there. If things don't pan out bullet wise then I'll go to the 200 gr Accubonds for developmental data. Good to hear from you. Need to get one of your Allen mags!

Johnnie

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.