A little shameless bragging...

entoptics

First shot out of this rifle since I took it out to the desert for some recreation with a buddy in early June.

Pulled it out of the case, ranged target at 624 yards, fired up 4DOF, tossed 1 round in the ejection port, held a little for spin drift + 2 mph wind and sent it. Put it back in the case, and went to look at the result...

7RM 624 yards.jpg

FYI, that's a 3" (0.46 MOA) orange sticky. Bold grids are 1".

I know this particular shot is a fluke, but I will say that this rifle is more "accurate" than her "precision" would suggest. It's a 7RM Savage 110 LRH with an X-caliber 1:8", 26" prefit with a 3 port MBM. Otherwise completely stock. Sig Whiskey 5-25 for glass. She shoots pretty good, with a real 0.9 MOA overall average from at least 50 four to five shot groups of various recipes and ranges. Of course, I don't throw out data, so this isn't "if I do my part" precision based on a couple of 100 yard 3 shot groups that one time at band camp, but there's no doubt she's not a bughole rifle (nor am I a bughole shooter).

Thing is though, with 4DOF, a 175 ELDX, and any powder or primer, she's just really predictable at range. If I input a statistically valid average MV, good atmospherics and laser reading, she's always within 3/4 MOA of POA, usually less. 175 ELDX at 2960 fps = anything up to and including walrus is toast inside of 650 yards...

OK, my arm is getting sore from all the back patting (not as flexible as I used to be)...

Very good. So the Hornady ballistic 4DOF seems to really match your actual bullet drop. I wonder if it would also give me good prediction of bullet drop for the Hammer bullets that I have been using?
I sort of doubt it for two reasons...

1) I believe 4DOF uses custom drag functions that Hornady developed using doppler radar on their own products, and perhaps a select few others. Without that, I doubt it's much different from any other ballistic solver for bullets that use a conventional G7 B.C. value

2) Unless you determine the Hammer B.C. yourself somehow, it's not going to be accurate. Granted, I've only tested 4 different bullets in 3 different rifles, but I've found that Hammer's quoted B.C. values are inflated by ~15% (my results here and here).

First shot out of this rifle since I took it out to the desert for some recreation with a buddy in early June.

Pulled it out of the case, ranged target at 624 yards, fired up 4DOF, tossed 1 round in the ejection port, held a little for spin drift + 2 mph wind and sent it. Put it back in the case, and went to look at the result...

View attachment 484256

FYI, that's a 3" (0.46 MOA) orange sticky. Bold grids are 1".

I know this particular shot is a fluke, but I will say that this rifle is more "accurate" than her "precision" would suggest. It's a 7RM Savage 110 LRH with an X-caliber 1:8", 26" prefit with a 3 port MBM. Otherwise completely stock. Sig Whiskey 5-25 for glass. She shoots pretty good, with a real 0.9 MOA overall average from at least 50 four to five shot groups of various recipes and ranges. Of course, I don't throw out data, so this isn't "if I do my part" precision based on a couple of 100 yard 3 shot groups that one time at band camp, but there's no doubt she's not a bughole rifle (nor am I a bughole shooter).

Thing is though, with 4DOF, a 175 ELDX, and any powder or primer, she's just really predictable at range. If I input a statistically valid average MV, good atmospherics and laser reading, she's always within 3/4 MOA of POA, usually less. 175 ELDX at 2960 fps = anything up to and including walrus is toast inside of 650 yards...

OK, my arm is getting sore from all the back patting (not as flexible as I used to be)...
Keep patting that round wouldn't have hit paper if you didn't execute a perfect trigger squeeze. That's awesome

1) I believe 4DOF uses custom drag functions that Hornady developed using doppler radar on their own products, and perhaps a select few others. Without that, I doubt it's much different from any other ballistic solver for bullets that use a conventional G7 B.C. value

2) Unless you determine the Hammer B.C. yourself somehow, it's not going to be accurate. Granted, I've only tested 4 different bullets in 3 different rifles, but I've found that Hammer's quoted B.C. values are inflated by ~15% (my results here and here).
Now you done it. Let the beatings begin lol.

So far I've found Hornady's ballistics app pretty accurate. But past 800 yards my dope is off a bit. I'm hitting low about .7 mils at 1200 yards. But I'll play with it some more as it could be shooter error. It was good enough for cold bore hits out to 660 yards on predators.

I thought 4DOF was the first ballistics calculator to take into account aerodynamic jump? I believe it also accounts for spin drift in the total windage hold. Do these gyroscopic affects require more bullet information than contained in BC and weight, like something about center of gravity?

So far I've found Hornady's ballistics app pretty accurate. But past 800 yards my dope is off a bit. I'm hitting low about .7 mils at 1200 yards. But I'll play with it some more as it could be shooter error. It was good enough for cold bore hits out to 660 yards on predators.
Could be the BC of the bullet degrading. I've seen some guys run 2 different bcs