A Little Mil-dot Test

Ian M

Today I worked with a fellow to explain how the Mil-dots work in his new Bushnell 3200 10x Tactical scope. First we checked the dot spacing at 100 yards on my handy-dandy barber-pole (a mop-handle that my wifee was tossing out). My barber-pole has alternating light blue and black segments that measure 3.6", good contrast. Reticle was bang-on.
Then we Mil-ed some known dimension target at the range - out to 300 and he got referred to the mighty Mil-dot Master for exact Mil-calls.
Then we put four steel plates out in a big valley at completely random locations, all past 400 yards but still within possible hunting range for his Browning single-shot .30-06.
He Mil-ed the steel (each target was a unique dimension that he was given), doped the wind and took one shot at each target. Result's were interesting:
Target # Laser Distance Mil-ed Distance
#1 404 404
#2 515 480
#3 540 550
#4 610 600
He went directly with the dot-reading with the #1 and #2 but did some averaging of two possible readings each for 3 & 4. Came out very close.

Shooting resulted in four consecutive hits, targets ranged from 12" to 18". This was his first experience with dots and second opportunity past 300 yards. Yesterday we had established zeros out to 700 with his '06 so he good come-ups to work with.
This is a small test but it was nice to see those plates fall over!

Ian,

You know that you are gonna be held responsible for infecting another
smile.gif
) Does the poor guy know what he's in for.

FatBoy...

Ian...

You have corrupted another young, innocent soul... he will never be the same.

Next it will be a military range finder like the Wild, or a Ruskie laser... then custom riffles, sleeping in the garage, so there is more room in the house for gun safes, and loading stuff... his wife will forget his name, and probably move out with the mail man...

...shame on you
wink.gif
)

If he really needs emotional help, send him over to SniperCountry, we have a twelve step program for the needy, lead by a few really corrupt gun sluts
wink.gif
))

CatShooter.

[ 09-16-2002: Message edited by: CatShooter ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts