A labor intensive 6.5mm that really screams???

goodgrouper

I thought some of you would like to know what I held in my hands this afternoon. A gunsmith in Idaho showed me a 6.5 that just might be worth the effort of case forming. It was called a 6.5 lrt (his initials). It was a 25 wssm necked up and the shoulder was blown forward a bit and given a 45 degree angle. It was tight necked and throughted for the 142 MK. He said his charge was 49 grains of RL22 and it was 105% density. He also claimed that he just finished chronographing it and it was shooting the 142 grain bullet at 3050 with just a 26" barrel! This load produced a standard deviation of 7, and shot a .5 inch group at 200 yards. I thought it sounded pretty efficient because my 6.5-.284 pushes the same bullet with the same charge at 3100, but it has a 30" barrel. This short fat thing might actually be working like they say it does!

Interesting approach starting with a 25 wssm. I am in process of building a 6.5 SAUM for the 142 SMK. It will be a 26" Jeff Lawrence #4 barrel on a Remington Short Action and McMillan Stock. The rifle started life as a .300SAUM but I just haven't been impressed with the performance of the .30 cal. so I thought I'd give the 6.5 a try. I'll post again when I have some real news report about how this short fat one performs.

If he is getting that sort of velocity out of that short of a barrel he must be getting some pretty high pressure , I've heard of a few guys shooting the WSSM's and getting into pressure trouble realy quick , like not seeing any signs to getting realy sticky bolt lift with just a half grain increase in powder.
I believe that their is a limit as to how effecient you can make a case safely

Matched in QuickLoad shows 67.5Kpsi(65K SAAMI Max).
So it's a hot load. But given that it works for him, I'd say it's fine provided he doesn't get his ammo out in the sun. He'd have 3140fps with a 30" barrel.

With a 26" barrel he could get 3100fps @ 57Kpsi(10K less) if he used Lapua 123gr and VVN560/IMR4350/Norma204 ~same load density and same seating. That way his barrel, and possibly his life, might last alot longer.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.