A heavy 300 rum

Discussion in 'Gun Photos' started by north of 53, Mar 5, 2009.

1. north of 53

north of 53 Well-Known Member

I just got my new gun finished. It is a 300 RUM on a 700 action with a 28" Ted Gaillard barrel. I had the action blueprinted and bedded and the bolt has been cleaned up as well. There is Jewel trigger on it and a Holland break. The scope is 6.5 to 20 X50 Leupold mark 4 on a 20 min rail. I am hoping this site will let me post a photo of it but not sure about that yet. I have just started shooting it , (less than 20 rounds) and I have it shooting inside 2" at 500 yards. I think the gun can do better but I am not sure I can. Time will tell.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  2. nathank

nathank Well-Known Member

Sounds like a nice rig. Where in AB are you from? Also where did you get your ginsmithing done, I'm still looking for a good smith.

3. north of 53

north of 53 Well-Known Member

Nathank I live in northern Manitoba Canada. I had the gunsmithing done at A.C Duglas in Saskatoon. He has done a few guns for me and I have always been very happy with his work. I did up a 22-250 A.I. on a 788 action that was a real shooter. He is now rebarreling it for me. I just just shoot to much for my own good, it was still shooting 5 inch groups at 500 yards on a good day but that gun for the first almost 2000 rounds was 2"s at 500 so it was time for a new barrel.

Photos should be up on here very soon I think with a little help from a friend you will be able to have look at my gun on here.

4. nathank

nathank Well-Known Member

Very nice rig. Does that smith you were talking about have a shop? Do you just send him your rifle or did you have to deliver it.

5. ourway77

ourway77 Well-Known Member

I bought a 300 RUM remington sendero some years ago when they first came out. It has a heavy 26" barrel. It's one of the best shooters I have. All I have at our range is 100 yards, I have shot Groups at 100 yards just opening the 1st hole a little. I only load IMR-4831 88.0 grains and a 150 grain Nosler bullets That being a starting load. It still kicks right good. I have killed Deer out to 400 yards just by holding above. It is the best and most accurate right out of the box rifle I ever got. Right after I got mine they reduced the diameter of the barrel and put flutes. They are alot lighter and I bet they really kick more so than the one I got. I really I dont think i could have done better if I built one from scratch. This one will never go anywhere. Shoot straight, Hope you have fair winds and following seas. lou