A Great Day of Long Range Shooting

Broz

With the Montana big game seasons rapidly approaching. I am doing all the LR practice I can. So when a couple avid LR shooters contacted me and invited me along to bust some wild rocks, naturally I grabbed my rifle and came running.

I really enjoy the aspect of shooting rocks. I feel his is the best real world pracice I can get to prepair for that cold bore shot on game. Yesterday morning the wind was light and vaiable 4~7 mph. We were shooting from a plateau in the foot hills up into the mountains and across gulches. This is the exact kind of pracice I need. I started the shoot as we all agreed since God placed this nice rock on a bench at 1762 yards it must have been with us in mind as it was perfectly placed at 1 mile. I ran the field conditions from my kestrel 2500 NV and entered them into my Dell axim pda with the Nightforce program. Doped the scope and settled in for the first shot of the day. The sun was giving me a ton of glare and I had to crank the 8~32 NXS down a bit to get a clearer view. I took a breath, released 1/2 and held while I waited for the wind to settle a bit and touched it off. It landed dead on for elevation but about 1 1/2 ft left. Yep.. I missed the wind as I felt I could shoot as it layed down a bit. Lesson learned again.. Dial all the wind you think you have, I seem to tend to want to play it for less that it really is. So I gave it another 1 moa rt and sent another for a solid center mass hit.

We then spent some time busting rocks from 800 ~ 1250 yards or so and all were shooting very good. I was extremely happy with my cold bore shots in this distance area. So before we quit we decided to send a few at a rock that was 2295 yards on a grass hillside comming out of a huge gulch. One of the guys got pretty close and suprisingly he sent 3 hits close to it with them all landing in about a 4 foot area. Pretty good for a 300 win with 208 a-max's going subsonic. I was impressed. When I engaged the 2295 yard rock I ran out of dial up. The 8~32 NXS only has 65 moa and I needed 87.5. So I dialed all I had and used the reticle to hold over for the rest. Once again I documented live proof I am terrible at hold over shots..:D

I really enjoyed the good company and had a grat time. Wanted to share the few pics I took and the story.

Jeff gun)gun)

The rifle line up.

DSC02540Small.jpg

Another line up and the hillside with the 2295 yard rock.

DSC02538Small.jpg

One of the guys engaging the rock at 2295.

DSC02544Small.jpg

Outstanding location to shoot ..
Looks like you have more WILD rocks than bullets:)

Good shooting!

BigBuck

i agree with you guys i dont have wild rocks around here in PA. Anyway great shooting Jeff and those are some nice rifles. Continue the good work (fun) and you will no doubt have a very successful big game season.

Broz,
Sure is a great way to spend the day........................

"The 8~32 NXS only has 65 moa and I needed 87.5. "

What calibre were you shooting??? It looks like you were shooting at high altitude, this would help a lot.

I have shot to a similar distance at sea level with my .338 Edge and 5.5-22x56 Nightforce and also ran out of room but needed a lot more elevation than 87.5 MOA.

Wind drift is considerable at that distance.:D

Last edited:
Broz,

What calibre were you shooting??? It looks like you were shooting at high altitude, this would help a lot.

I have shot to a similar distance at sea level with my .338 Edge and 5.5-22x56 Nightforce and also ran out of room but needed a lot more elevation than 87.5 MOA.

Wind drift is considerable at that distance.:D

I was shooting my .338 Lapua with the 300 gr Berger Hybrids and I use a G1 BC of .820

I custom fitted my base so I am 3 moa off bottom when zeroed. That is roughly 43 moa. The Baro was 25.61 and I would say it is real close to 4100 ft altitude. If I run into the problem many more imes I will go back to a 5.5~22 to get the added 35 moa. But most of the time I am good and can reach 1900 and change with this scope.

For sure " wind drift" is something you can believe in and count on especially at these distances...:D

Jeff gun)gun)

Hey Jeff, had a great time out with you and John.

I was the shooter manning the 30-06. it's a 22" bbl, and I'm launching 208 AMax at 2720 fps via RL22. Glass is MK4 16X, with 140 moa internal, mounted on a 45 moa Badger Ordnance base.

This rifle/load is consistent out to the mile target. I tried the 2295 yd target but was unable to get any feedback. Had dialed 110 moa, and held another three mils on the erector. No impacts observed. Retained velocity would have been around 925 fps or so. Pretty much out of steam that far out, but had to give it a try.

Seeing John's consistency at 2295 yds was pretty impressive, he was launching a 208 AMax at about 2900 fps.

Our firing point was at an elevation of right at 4500'. The target at 2295 had to be 500-1000' higher than that.

Good Shooting, Shane

I was shooting my .338 Lapua with the 300 gr Berger Hybrids and I use a G1 BC of .820

I custom fitted my base so I am 3 moa off bottom when zeroed. That is roughly 43 moa. The Baro was 25.61 and I would say it is real close to 4100 ft altitude. If I run into the problem many more imes I will go back to a 5.5~22 to get the added 35 moa. But most of the time I am good and can reach 1900 and change with this scope.

For sure " wind drift" is something you can believe in and count on especially at these distances...:D

Jeff gun)gun)

Hi Jeff,

Nice shooting. I noticed the 1 mile with 300smk, if you KNOW TO READ the wind you are right on. The rest is just fun, fun, fun...
How did you range the 2225yrd?
My swaro ranged to 1985yrd on bright day on rocks, and the rest is just ...back off the rest 200-300yrds and we are ready to shoot.

I have the 8-32x56 NSX and used the same custom rail to be 2MOA at the bottom for 100yrds zero... In this way I noticed I NEVER LOOSE ZERO...

Hi Jeff, How did you range the 2225yrd?
My swaro ranged to 1985yrd on bright day on rocks, and the rest is just ...back off the rest 200-300yrds and we are ready to shoot.

My Swaro would get 1900 just before dark on a rock wall. But would not even come close in bright conditions. I ranged the 2295 rock we were shooting at with my Vectronix PLRF10 in mid day sun. It will range to 2900 plus yards in most conditions. BignGreen and I were even ranging off hand to 2300 plus with it a few days ago in moderate rain. The PLRF10 is an amazing unit and I love the very small beam divergence it has. It is the most precise RF I have ever pulled the trigger on.

Jeff gun)gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.