A good starter rig?

I'm kinda leaning towards the greybull, for the simple fact that it is a leupold, and the warranty is excellent. The reason I want a scope like this, is because when I'm hunting I want to be able to get on target fast.

I'm kinda leaning towards the greybull, for the simple fact that it is a leupold, and the warranty is excellent. The reason I want a scope like this, is because when I'm hunting I want to be able to get on target fast.

What can Greybull do you for that the Leupold Custom Shop cannot? Leupold custom stop can install all kinds of reticles and change friction adjustments to M1 or target knobs.

To be honest, I didn't even know leupold did that. Can they install the same kind of turrets that the greybull and huskemaw use? If so, are they calibrated to your rifle and load? I live 2 hours from the leupold shop in okotoks so I could drive the scope up there.

To be honest, I didn't even know leupold did that. Can they install the same kind of turrets that the greybull and huskemaw use? If so, are they calibrated to your rifle and load? I live 2 hours from the leupold shop in okotoks so I could drive the scope up there.

From my understanding they can. There are some vendors on this sight that make custom dials to fit Leupold's and many other brands. If your that close to the shop then it shouldn't be an issue. Can you drive at 14??

Tank

From my understanding they can. There are some vendors on this sight that make custom dials to fit Leupold's and many other brands. If your that close to the shop then it shouldn't be an issue. Can you drive at 14??

Tank

I have my learners license, but my dad would want to go to the shop with me. He also likes the idea of these scopes.

I don't care for boutique reticles, and the utility of BDC knobs escapes me. I prefer to use the basic mil-dot system, or a refinement of it, because accurate ranging can be done with that system out to 1000 yards with some learned skills. Taking time to learn the Mil ranging system is worth the effort.

Another good reason is the mil system is the same regardless or manufacturer, so once you learn the system, you don't have to remember differences from scope to scope. When using a range finder, a basic crosshair is fine.

Whether using just a standard plex reticle, or mil reticle, elevation changes are controlled by the clicks or marks on the elevation dial. That works for every load, every rifle, every caliber by using different click values. I am not going to carry around a bag of knobs for every load I have...I tend to lose little gizmos, and it's simpler for me not to have to think about several different systems. I can't imagine keeping track of a bag of knobs for every scope I have, I would rather spend my time shooting.

A good warranty is important, I tend to like scopes that don't tend to break down a lot and need to use their warranty, so if I have some money in my pockets, I like Nightforce...if not I have had good results with Bushnell 6500, 4200 3-12 Tactical, that's a new model, 3200 10x, Sightron, 10x Super Sniper or the 3-9 version, Premier...the new Vortex PST looks promising if they ever decide to quit marketing and manufacture them.

TC

Can they install the same kind of turrets that the greybull and huskemaw use? If so, are they calibrated to your rifle and load?

Personally, I have my doubts about a custom turret for a rifle. I handload, chronograph my loads and verify the trajectory of my loads with my shooting software. Even with all that work, it's not always right-on. There's always a variable that changes something. This leads to my doubts about a custom turret.

wow kid your an impressive shoter! i am looking into the same gun though! i have heard its a tackdriver! id like to shoot it before i buy it! i have a huskemaw and i love it! but its lost of money! start mowing those lawns!! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.