A good Machine

Rob36

I'd like to take my hobbie to a new level with gunsmithing. I work as a machinist and have been spoiled with the bigger is better machines at work.

I don't have alot of room or money to buy a dream machine. What kind of machine do I look for just starting?

The 3-1 in one machines look like toys. Its a nice idea but I also don't to want to undo a complex mill job for a simple lathe job.

The 3 in 1 machines are toys! Check the phone book for used machine tool dealers in your area. Any used machine needs to be personally inspected, and, transportation from afar is getting more expensive daily. If you're a machinist, you'll know what to look for (worn gibs or ways, obvious broken things or damage from wrecks, smooth rolling spindle, transmission work, threading dial, taper attachment a plus). Always nice to see any machine 'under power'. Most of all, if buying used, make sure you can get or make parts easily.

A grizzly g4003g is a great starter lathe for smithing, new about 3 grand delievered. I have had one for about 3 years now and not one problem. a bridgeport copy knee mill is also nice but you can do a lot of stuff with a good quality smaller mill.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.