A Good Jumping Point

dWeller

I am finally looking into having a rifle built for the soul purpose of hunting big game long range. I don't know exactly what components I want to use yet, but I would like to use a 3 lug action and I am leaning towards .330 Dakota. I would also like to keep the rifle as light as possible for hiking and the occasional offhand shot at close range.

I emailed Bat machine asking if their 3L action would handle the .330, they said it would but would not accept a magazine. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 3 lug action that does handle a mag, or would a single shot be fine? All my varmint rifles are mag fed, but I am use to shooting a single shot in competition, so I am undecided on this.

I'm at the earliest phase of trying to decide what I want, so any input on an action, barrel, or anything else would be much appreciated.

Dan

Why so hard set on the 3 lug action?
The Bat is a good one and will handle anything that a Rem or winchester will. The only three lug actions i know of (comercial) that are mag fed are Brownings and they will handel the 300 RUM so the 330 Dakota will be fine.

Also you may want to look at some better choices for calibers like the 338RUM , 338 Edge , 338 Lapua , heck even the 340 Weatherby will give you better balistics than the 330 Dakota and with way less cost the exception being the 338 Lapua and that brass will pay for itself with long life. Balisticaly all these rounds will surpass the 338 Dakota and the brass is easier and cheaper (except the Lapua)

A Browning action (if you have to have the three lug) with a #4 26" barrel in a good stock with a good brake should be a well balanced rifle ,not to heavy to carry but heavy enough to shoot stabill.

I personaly would look at a custom action like the Lawton , Stiller and Surgen as they are better built than factory actions and the price is less than the Bat your looking at and all can be had with mags.

I don't need a 3 lug action, I just like the short bolt throw and it would be something different from what I already have. The same goes for the 330 Dakota round. I was well aware of the ballistical inferiority of the round when I was considering it, but honestly I don't need all that extra "Horsepower" of the other rounds. I'm only going on assumption when I say this, but I like the fact that it uses less powder(I already have one big powder burner and another on the way) and I would think therefore it should have less recoil. So I'm thinkin' maybe a brake wouldn't be necessary?

Would a 26" barrel be enough length to milk the extra velocity out of it also?
I know a longer one would have to be heavier which means more weight.

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to check out those other actions and widen my options a little.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts