A good Idaho week

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by mtnwrunner, Oct 20, 2011.

1. mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner Well-Known Member

So, you spend all the money and time on long range equipment. You are anal about all your stuff---you spend the whole summer and early fall practicing for all those long range shots. All you can talk about is hunting and especially long range hunting. You LIVE it. You BREATHE it. You FEEL it. You are ON this website.
    And you jump a bull out of its bed and shoot it at 140 yards. Go figure........

I actually had this bull at 900 yards, then 500 yards, then lost sight of him---just could not get the right shot. So, I went to where he was last seen and lo and behold, he had bedded down.

300 winny Ruger 77 with a pac nor barrel, 190 grain berger handloads.

This was the very first animal that I have tried the berger bullets on. I was very impressed---they performed exactly like they are advertised to do. But it was 140 yards.

I got this mulie the other night with a 280 ackley using 150 grain barnes ttsx. Almost same scenario----spotted him at 455 yards but the wind was blowing horrible. Lost sight of him and then jumped him out of his bed at about 250.

It was a great 4 days.

Randy

Attached Files:

2. KRP

KRP Well-Known Member

I've been stuck in New Jersey for three months...the worst week in Idaho doesn't compare to this at all. "Good" week is a definate understatement, congratulations! :D

3. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

Just got home form 9 weeks of hunting. Those are great pictures for only one week.

4. Browninglover1

Browninglover1 Well-Known Member

Nice work!

5. JDS

JDS Active Member

A "GOOD" week.I would call that a Great week. Nice job.

6. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

Beautiful animals Randy, congratulations.
    Same scenerio with a friend of mine in Alaska in 2003. I introduced him to the long range game, built the custom rifle, practiced all summer long, and we headed to Alaska in September with hopes of him taking a Dall Sheep at a distance... Well that distance was a whopping 125 yards...
    I told him that you got to shoot 'em when you see 'em..

7. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

Good bull....how far did you have to pack him?

8. angus-5024

angus-5024 Well-Known Member

looks like a great hunt! I think we've all been the whole "what the heck was all that practice for?" shots at 100 yards.

9. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

Wow...nice goin'!

10. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

The worst day I ever had in Idaho was good. I'm with you though, from the pictures it was truly a great 4 days!

Congrats on a great bull and really nice Muley Buck.

11. TikkaShooters

TikkaShooters Official LRH Sponsor

It looks like you had a great week!

12. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Yup! Any day in Idaho is great. A bunch of those days in a row are exceptional in your case.

Looking forward to spending days and days in ID next year out in the wild.

Very nice animals. You done good!

13. Clemensp06

Clemensp06 Active Member

Nice animals. Ever since I put away my .308 and bought a long range hunting rig, the longest shot I have had is 300yds. lol. go figure right. great pics and gratz again.

14. MHO

MHO Well-Known Member

congrats....