A good Idaho week

mtnwrunner

So, you spend all the money and time on long range equipment. You are anal about all your stuff---you spend the whole summer and early fall practicing for all those long range shots. All you can talk about is hunting and especially long range hunting. You LIVE it. You BREATHE it. You FEEL it. You are ON this website.
And you jump a bull out of its bed and shoot it at 140 yards. Go figure........

I actually had this bull at 900 yards, then 500 yards, then lost sight of him---just could not get the right shot. So, I went to where he was last seen and lo and behold, he had bedded down.

300 winny Ruger 77 with a pac nor barrel, 190 grain berger handloads.

This was the very first animal that I have tried the berger bullets on. I was very impressed---they performed exactly like they are advertised to do. But it was 140 yards.

I got this mulie the other night with a 280 ackley using 150 grain barnes ttsx. Almost same scenario----spotted him at 455 yards but the wind was blowing horrible. Lost sight of him and then jumped him out of his bed at about 250.

It was a great 4 days.

Randy

Attachments

• 2011 Elk 040.jpg
    2011 Elk 040.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 2011 Buck 021.jpg
    2011 Buck 021.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 66
I've been stuck in New Jersey for three months...the worst week in Idaho doesn't compare to this at all. "Good" week is a definate understatement, congratulations! :D

Beautiful animals Randy, congratulations.
Same scenerio with a friend of mine in Alaska in 2003. I introduced him to the long range game, built the custom rifle, practiced all summer long, and we headed to Alaska in September with hopes of him taking a Dall Sheep at a distance... Well that distance was a whopping 125 yards...
I told him that you got to shoot 'em when you see 'em..

looks like a great hunt! I think we've all been the whole "what the heck was all that practice for?" shots at 100 yards.

The worst day I ever had in Idaho was good. I'm with you though, from the pictures it was truly a great 4 days!

Congrats on a great bull and really nice Muley Buck.

Yup! Any day in Idaho is great. A bunch of those days in a row are exceptional in your case.

Looking forward to spending days and days in ID next year out in the wild.

Very nice animals. You done good!

Nice animals. Ever since I put away my .308 and bought a long range hunting rig, the longest shot I have had is 300yds. lol. go figure right. great pics and gratz again.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.