A cpl Custom 280AI

Weatherby Fan

After some bad luck with buying an over the counter rifle, I had a cpl custom rifles built by a local gunsmith near where I live.....well he did not disappoint,

I had 3 Husqvarna H5000 30-06s sitting in the gun cabinet so I thought I would build a 280AI on one of them for my upcoming fly in hunt, so I ordered up the parts....

Wildcat Ultralight Stock
Benchmark #1 contour Match Grade SS Barrel, 24" long,1-9 twist
Timney Trigger

1 week later out pops a beautiful 6lb 4oz rifle, 7lbs 2.8oz scoped, and it shot very well first time at the range with factory Nosler 140gr AB

Second 280AI was built for my Nephew but sounds like my brother has taken a shine to it and may use it on our sheep hunt this year as it came in at 6lbs on its own.

Remington 700 Stainless action, action trued and squared, action fluted and bolt handle lightened,
Timney Calvin Elite Trigger
26" Benchmark Stainless #1 contour barrel, 1-9 twist
Wildcat Ultralight Stock
Talley Lightweight Rings
Leupold 4.5-14x40 CDS 30mm tube

No complaints about the accuracy using Nosler Trophy Grade 140gr Accubonds

Wow, very nice rifles, both of them. I'm kinda partial to the Husqvarna, not everybody's first choice for a build (I like to stray off the beaten path). Looks like your gunsmith did you right. gun)

Very nice rifles. You don't see many pics of WildCat stocks on here. I obviously see more up here in Canada. I just did a 6.5X47 on a WildCat. Just waiting for it to return from Hydro Dipping. They sure are a light weight stock.

Very nice rifles. You don't see many pics of WildCat stocks on here. I obviously see more up here in Canada. I just did a 6.5X47 on a WildCat. Just waiting for it to return from Hydro Dipping. They sure are a light weight stock.

Thank you for the kind comments, yeh I really like a Wildcat Stock, Stu does an awesome job of building them, my gunsmith prefers them over any other stock to work on not to mention how light they are, I am from BC

I'm having a 6.5-284 built right now also on Husky action and a Wildcat Stock, Benchmark barrel, it will be very much like the Husky 280AI pictured above.

The Wild Cat I just did took a bit more work than I thought it would. Inletting wasn't as good as I thought it could be. But was a nice winter project while it was 20 below here in southern Manitoba.

The Wild Cat I just did took a bit more work than I thought it would. Inletting wasn't as good as I thought it could be. But was a nice winter project while it was 20 below here in southern Manitoba.

That's the thing about a Wildcat they do require lots of work, my gunsmith says he prefers them over a McMillan, he finds the material better to work with and the fore end is stiffer.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.