a couple scope mount questions?

lovdasnow

alrigihty...just got a rem 700, 300 RUM, that over the next year or two will get rebarreled, action worked over, and get a new stock, etc...

I am getting a muzzle brake, trigger job, and the optic setup that I will keep on it right now. Planning on a leupold mk4 4.5-14, 6.5-20, or a nightforce 5.5-20. still deciding, leaning toward the leupold mostly because of weight savings...

Questions....do I need a 20moa scope base? 10moa? flat? what are you guys shooting? I would like to shoot out to
1,000 yds, maybe 1,500? probably going to be shooting 180-220gr bullets, havn't shot the gun so don't know yet whats going to shoot out of it..

#2......I think I'm going to go with Badger ordinace, and was wondering where is the best(cheapest place to buy them) or are the prices fixed for the most part?

#3 lastly.....do you guys shoot leupold mk4 1 piece bases?

thanks, jon

For the range(s) you are talking about I would go with a 20moa base. I have the badger 20moa picatinny rail on 3 rifles. Soon to be 4 as soon as Midway gets some more in stock or I find someone else who has one for a remmy long action. The picatinny rail gives you greater flexibility in mounting your scope, as well as a place for other accessories. Badger, Nightforce, and Burris Signature rings will all fit it and are all good rings.

so it sounds like they are worth the money...

also, can you use the aluminum rings on a 300 RUM or would that be too much force?

thanks, jon

for the quality bases like Badger your gonn a pay aroun $150 avaerage .
As for the taper , I think that anytime you are wanting to shoot out to 1000yds you should use a 20moa base no matter how flat you gun shoots or howw much adjustment your scope is supposed to have you may as well save some elevation in the tube by getting a sloped base

ok that definatly makes since...

What do you guys know about the Ken Farrell bases. I saw them in Sinclair's and they are like $65.. are they any good, or would you stick with badger's?

thanks

I have no experience with Ken Farrell bases, nor do I know anyone who does. Maybe someone else on here will chime in with some first hand experience on them. It would be interesting to know if they can hang in there with the Badger bases for half the price!

As for aluminum rings.....the only aluminum rings I have used are the Nightforce light weight rings. They are aluminum and titanium. They are very light and work very well. The only downside is they are expensive, around $150 bucks a set I think.

lovdasnow:

My hunting buddy has a Farrell 20moa base and rings. They are well made. The thing you need to remember is that the Farrell bases are taller (thicker) than most bases, for some reason, so you need to take that into consideration.

You dont need any special rings or base to shoot to 1200 yards. Dont care what anybody says, I dont have either and I get to 1200 yards with a MK4, and I still have at least a full turn on my dial. I dont like them canted bases, I heard where you wont be aable to make close shots because its so high. Thats my opinion. With a 200 zero, the 300 RUM shoots so **** flat, you dont need any special base, thats all I'm saying. I use the standard Leupld PWR, with there steel cross slot rings with absolutely no problems to 1200 yards. $150 for a base, jeeeeeesus. Not worth it when you dont really need it.

Farrell, TPS and Warne all make cheaper bases and rings than Badger. They appear to be as good, but you will have to decide that.

Remember, aluminum expands and contracts at a different rate than steel does. This can cause a problem when your rig gets hot. Not a huge problem, just a 3/4 moa or so which at the ranges you are talking about can be significant. I'm of the mindset that I buy the badger or warne bases and leupold mark 4 rings on my LONG range rigs. my 223 has Leupolds 20 moa long range base and ring set, I think they're discontinued now. I've used mark 4 bases and QRW leupold rings with great success as well. I use QRW on my 300 yard stuff so I can change to night vision in the field.
I've heard the farrell and nightforce bases are good stuff. I don't buy cheap stuff and expect good results, like putting a $10 weaver base on a $3000 bench gun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

thanks for the info.

Meister.....been wanting to talk to you, but couldn't pm you or email you, don't know why, just wouldn't let me.

I love suppressed stuff also, currently I just have an AAC m4-2000 on my varmint rig, and a AAC pilot for the .22's. looking into building a 300 whisper, and would like to get a .30 can to switch back and forth from the RUM to whisper. could I get your email, or something...would like to hear what you have to say about night vision also. I just started looking for a night scope, or goggles, don't know, that arena is so new to me?

thanks for chiming in....Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.