A couple Questions

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by alldayhunter, Jun 21, 2009.

1. alldayhunter

alldayhunter Active Member

First off let me say i have been wanting to build a long range gun for a while and after a few failed attempts i am going to try to start over. I am primarily an archery hunter but have bought guns over the years that i have found good deals on. None of the guns have been what i wanted just people that needed cash and a good deal. Since i am getting ready to go back to school i have decided to downsize a bit and sell some rifles that i have not been shooting and use this money to start getting into the long range game. I have an encore that i love that wears a 204 barrel and a boyds thumbhole stock right now. I was wondering if i could get a different barrel for this gun to start getting into the game. What kind of accuracy could i expect and what caliber would you get? I was thinking a 308 just to start. I am probably going to sell the following and was wondering what they are worth?
    Savage Model 12bvss in 22-250 with accu trigger
    browning abolt in 300wsm
    savage model 12 fvss in 270 wsm
    Any ideas would be great.

2. ogreshooter

ogreshooter Well-Known Member

What would the intended purpose of the rifle be? Paper, or game?
    If game animals (or varmint), how far is long range to you? 600 is far for me (for now) and others shoot to a grand all the time.

Just a few questions that could help the guys get you going in the right direction.

Wally