A couple Questions

alldayhunter

First off let me say i have been wanting to build a long range gun for a while and after a few failed attempts i am going to try to start over. I am primarily an archery hunter but have bought guns over the years that i have found good deals on. None of the guns have been what i wanted just people that needed cash and a good deal. Since i am getting ready to go back to school i have decided to downsize a bit and sell some rifles that i have not been shooting and use this money to start getting into the long range game. I have an encore that i love that wears a 204 barrel and a boyds thumbhole stock right now. I was wondering if i could get a different barrel for this gun to start getting into the game. What kind of accuracy could i expect and what caliber would you get? I was thinking a 308 just to start. I am probably going to sell the following and was wondering what they are worth?
Savage Model 12bvss in 22-250 with accu trigger
browning abolt in 300wsm
savage model 12 fvss in 270 wsm
Any ideas would be great.

What would the intended purpose of the rifle be? Paper, or game?
If game animals (or varmint), how far is long range to you? 600 is far for me (for now) and others shoot to a grand all the time.

Just a few questions that could help the guys get you going in the right direction.

Wally

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.