A couple questions about norma/Lapua barrels

Ucsdryder

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 300 ni. I'd love to have one of the awesome builders on LRH build one, but I don't know if the funds will support it… funds = pregnant wife. I'm trying to price out Black Friday components and see if there's enough price difference to justify trying to piece on together. The barrel will end up around 20" plus a TBAC 338 suppressor. I'm trying to make sure I don't mess this up! 😉

Barrel diameter - is 1.200 ok or is 1.250 necessary? 1.250 limits the builds and increases the pricing quite a bit (carbon six). Btw, carbon six just announced their BF sale and its live.

Barrel thread Tenons - is a 1 1/8 necessary or is a 1 1/16 adequate? I was looking at arc mausingfield (if they do a Black Friday sale like last year) which looks like a popular action in 300 norma and they only do 1 1/16.

LRI built my 338 Norma on a Mausingfield with 100% confidence and its been great to me. They used their preferred K&P barrel and it's incredibly accurate. Mine is 25" and it's going back this winter for an 18-20" replacement barrel, I also use a TBAC 338 Ultra and 25" sucks in regards to OAL.

LRI built my 338 Norma on a Mausingfield with 100% confidence and its been great to me. They used their preferred K&P barrel and it's incredibly accurate. Mine is 25" and it's going back this winter for an 18-20" replacement barrel, I also use a TBAC 338 Ultra and 25" sucks in regards to OAL.
Great minds think alike!

Do you know if it's a 1.20" or a 1.25"?

Anybody else?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 300 ni. I'd love to have one of the awesome builders on LRH build one, but I don't know if the funds will support it… funds = pregnant wife. I'm trying to price out Black Friday components and see if there's enough price difference to justify trying to piece on together. The barrel will end up around 20" plus a TBAC 338 suppressor. I'm trying to make sure I don't mess this up! 😉

Barrel diameter - is 1.200 ok or is 1.250 necessary? 1.250 limits the builds and increases the pricing quite a bit (carbon six). Btw, carbon six just announced their BF sale and its live.

Barrel thread Tenons - is a 1 1/8 necessary or is a 1 1/16 adequate? I was looking at arc mausingfield (if they do a Black Friday sale like last year) which looks like a popular action in 300 norma and they only do 1 1/16.
Nice Have you decided what reamer design you're going with?
I had Manson spec me out a reamer based on Lapua brass with a 40 degree shoulder, I'd be willing to let you use it for a small fee if interested but it's 3.5 months out..

As for 1 1/16 threads I spoke with Ryan Pierce and a few other highly regarded smiths who have a lot of lapua experience, and they all said go with 1 1/8 or you'll regret it.
Same with the barrel shank, 1.2 will show pressure sooner than 1.250".
Basically I want to do this right with no regrets so I took that advice

I don't know and my calipers won't fit under the scope to allow me to measure it.
Quoting myself because I forgot I took the scope off.

Mine measures 1.260" and a little longer shank than my other customs. I didn't specify, just told Chad to build me a quality rifle that doesn't disappoint, and he did.