A Couple of quick Scope questions.....

AtownBcat

So im still learning alot but i ran into a few things tonight and was hopeing you guys could shed some light.

1. How can a guy at home a little light in tools get his scope "perfectly" strait? I thought about a small level on the turret but then the work table, vice or what ever the gun is being held in has to be perfectly level to begin with. And if im thinking right the smallest amount of "lean" either way will just get larger and larger the further the target...correct?

2. I was trying to get the eye relief perfect for my son(and myself). I noticed that the natural position that the gun settled into would work at the 6.5x mag. But when i ran the scope up to 20x it seemed like the scope was no longer mounted in the correct place. maybe this is normal and with practice you just make the adjustment "no big deal". we both have vari x iii's

thanks for your help. I also have a factory ammo question in that thread if you have the time.

Ryan

For Q #1 Take a 36" square piece of cardboard and draw a 1/4" wide black line top to bottom in the middle. Using a plumb bob securely hang the cardboard so the line is vertically plumb 100 yards away. Then using some type of level apperatus, level the rifle off of a flat spot on the scope base or off the action rails. Then turn the scope so when the rifle is level, the crosshairs are perfectly on the vertical line on the cardboard. After that is all in tune and if you are going to be turning turrets for long shots. Place a small orange dot at the bottom of the vertical line and sight in on it at 100 yards. Then turn your elevation turret up 25 MOA and shoot two or 3 more shots at the same orange dot. Your last 3 shots should still be centered on the line but 25 or so inches higher up the line. If they are to the left or right of the line, you will need to slightly rotate the scope again to fine tune it.

This is the method we have learned by reading and talking to others. We have done a few rifles this way and found them to follow tracking very well even at 1000 yards.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.