A couple of pics my first goat

esshup

Close-up
wyoming2008021.jpg

Front view
wyoming2008019.jpg

Side view
wyoming2008020.jpg

Since my buddy didn't score on a Mulie, Dave had first crack at a goat. He shot one @ 220 Yds that was virtually a carbon copy on mine. After glassing another 10 to 15 goats I saw one that I wanted to chase about 2 miles away. We couldn't get a really good look because of the mirage, so we hopped in the truck to try and get closer. About half way there, we spotted 2 goats that were giving each other the evil eye. We stopped the truck, I got out and duck walked about 100 Yds to a slight ridge. The bucks really didn't pay too much attention to me even tho it was 6 days into the season on public ground. In retrospect, I should have passed on this one and continued towards the one that I saw thru the spotting scope, but my trigger finger said otherwise. I had the Wby sighted in @ 300 Yds, and at 323 Yds it was a chip shot. After the shot, he reared up took 2 steps forward and did a nosedive into the sage and cactus. My buddy had his digital camera shoved into my 10x42 SLC's and got a short video (maybe 10 sec) of the goat getting shot and going down. I think a video camera will be mandatory if we get pulled next year! If I get drawn next year, I know what to look for now.

Since this is my first goat, he's at the taxidermist. I didn't measure it, so are there any guesses on how big it is?

Here's Daves Goat. The .300 Win Mag 168g Berger VLD @ juat under 3100 fps sure puts a big hole on the out side!

wyoming2008015.jpg

wyoming2008014.jpg

wyoming2008012.jpg

We had a couple of cooles full of ice, and we filled up the body cavity as soon as they were field dressed. They both turned out to be pretty good 'n tasty!

Nice goats! I have that at the taxi even if it wasn't my first. It'll score good, those cutters are high up which help with the mass measurements. How long do the horns measure?

Congrats!

Thanks.

I'm such a rookie that I didn't even measure anything before dropping it off. Well, Dave dropped both of them off. I'll get some measurements in a few months. We saw one just standing on a knob watching traffic on 80 the day before season opened and he was HUGE! Too bad he was on private ground. My next one will be bigger! We glassed from abut 1/2 hr. after sunup and Dave shot his around 11:00 a.m. Mine was taken about 3 hours of glassing later.

It helps to have a cousin that lives in the area and who hunts 60+ days a year.:D He actually apologized for not having any big ones scouted.

I didn't measure it, so are there any guesses on how big it is

It helps if you hold the ear up along the horn for the picture. With an antelope that has regular sized ears, I would be looking for the fork to be at least 2 inches above the ear.

Finally got around to the video.

Here's the video of the goat. I didn't know that my buddy Dave was doing this. He took the video by holding his sony digital camera to the back of a pair of Minolta 8x42 binoculars, while looking thru the windshield of the truck. I was about 30 Yds. in front of the truck. My cousin Gary is the voice that you hear. At the end he's saying "Ones enough!" probably 'cause I was still looking thru the scope at where he fell, and the other goat that he was staring down was still standing there.

I think the video turned out pretty well for the equipment that was used! In all fairness, Dave didn't know which goat (if any) I was going to shoot. The distance from me to the goat was 323 Yds, so, approx. 350 Yds from the camera to the goat.

wyoming2008018.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.