A Buck to be Thankful For

NCBoy

As a father we try to do our best to raise our kids and you hope you are going to end up with fine young men. Through the chaos of life we often do not get to see the progress we are making as parents. I must have to admit that there are times when you truly wonder if you are ever going to see if they are going to meet their potential. Today I got a glimpse of how great mine can be.

This afternoon I received a gift to truly be thankful for. My 2 youngest sons and I went to our hunt club in Anson County, NC to get a quick afternoon hunt in. We were running late and did not have time to dress so we just went into a cutover and sat on the ground in street cloths.

Before I go farther, remember this is NC not Canada, Iowa, or Kansas. Our deer rival the size of our dogs. My son Anthony and his younger brother decided to hunt together. Before the deer moved they new they had seen a nice 9 point in this cutover. Anthony told his brother that since he had killed a better deer in earlier years the his younger brother Aaron would shoot the 9.

Two does came out and my trigger happy son Aaron wanted to shoot. His older brother told him to wait. A nice 7 point came out and the older told him to let him walk. I am sure Aaron was getting anxious. Finally at last light the nine came out. Anthony raised his gun and made sure it was a mature deer. He grunted at the deer to stop him and encouraged his brother to take the shot. Seconds later a big (by Nc standards) 9 point hit the ground. The celebrating began. I was so amazed by the care of and older brother for the younger.

I have a lot to be thankful for!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 113
Great point. They do get spread out and you have to appreciate when they happen.

Great post!!

You are a good dad for making it happen!!

On a side note. I heard from a NC friend something about the red wolf being introduced there. This would be a bit north of Asheville????

I have heard the same thing about the red wolf. We are in central NC so that is about three of four hours away. I do not know if that is true or urban legand. Thanks for your comments about the post. I was very proud of them. It is so awesome when your kids stop their mouthing and show that they truly do care about one another.

Thanks!

Thanks all of you for your kind comments. My words fail to do justice to the story. Through the years they have argued and fought like boys do. It was awesome to see how when it counts they care for one another.

Dad you got alot to be proud of there!!!!! Now I can think of nothing better for a X-mass gift than you having that deer mounted with a tribute to both of them somewhere on or near it. Great story I'm glad you posted it.

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback. My older son and I went to a Hospice fund raising auction in September. We sadly have had a couple of family members who have used their services. I purchased a shoulder mount to support the cause. This will be used to mount their buck. Thanks again.

When they are old men and can't remember where they put their cell phone or car keys, they will still remember this hunt together. Good job dad!

It's kinda nice to read something that makes you smile for a change. Apperantly there still is some good stuff that happens from time to time.
Keep up the good work.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.