A-Bolt for long range?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by tackdriver10, May 17, 2010.

1. tackdriver10

tackdriver10 Well-Known Member

I recently came across a Browning A-bolt at a very good price, so I decided to make myself the proud owner. It's a stainless model in 7 rem mag. Also has a 26" barrel and does not have the boss on it. Anyways, how far have you guys stretched an A-Bolt out to? I'm hoping to reach the 600 to 700 mark with ease. Further would be great, but we will have to wait and see.

2. Idbowhunter

Idbowhunter Member

I have a composite stalker in .338 win that I normaly shoot sub moa groups consistently at 600 yards. The only thing I have done to the gun was redo the trigger. Find a good load for it and it should shoot just fine for you.

3. tackdriver10

tackdriver10 Well-Known Member

Yep, I will definitely give it a trigger job, and will likely doctor on the bedding as well..

4. NomadPilot

NomadPilot Well-Known Member

I've got a McM stock on order for my A-Bolt 308, trying to maximize the accuracy of the factory barrel/action before going all-out. While I've killed animals with the factory rifle, its stock had a pressure point and was in general cheap feeling. I'm hoping the new one is stiffer, helps with recoil a little bit (Limbsaver pad), and I also ordered side flush cups as I've grown to love the side-sling setup. Should be here next month. [​IMG]

5. catch-34

catch-34 Well-Known Member

6. coyotezapper

coyotezapper Well-Known Member

A-bolts can be adjusted by user very easily or you can re spring it with a spring from Timney. I did the two pound spring and it is two pounds exactly. Kit comes with 2-2.5 and 3-3.5 pound spring.