A bit of load testing .308 win

my load is finished for the 155gr VLD`s

ive settled on 44.8gr AR 2208 (varget) seated just kissing the lands, 2.850 COAL.

= 2830fps, .5 MOA or better accuracy, ES = 12fps , SD = 2 fps !!!

Now i move onto the 178gr load testing...

I might be a little late on this thread but have been loading 47gr Varget in my 26" tube and only getting 2805fps at 50 degrees f. 2000ft elevation. Anyway, I'm shooting the Sierra Palma Match bullets and getting one hole groups with annealed Remington brass that has also been neck turned. I seem to have a bit of freebore in my rifle so I'm having trouble reaching the lands with this light of a bullet but still the accuracy is good so I guess I'm going to leave things as they are and concentrate on my 10-20mph South Dakota wind doping. (bigger problem) :cool:

I think there must be some faster ` lots` of Varget around...see what `groper` is getting from his load...!

Definetely some variation in speed for varget,!94 pretty much any powder, more likely the barrels making the big dfferences, fast barrels, slow barrels, number of groves, twist rates etc..

well, i dont actually use "varget".... in australia its made by ADI thales group and called AR2208 but they say its powder equivalent is varget... I know ADI powders are exported to the USA but types and to which companies over there im not sure... im pretty sure that hodgdon simply relabels ADI powders so its the same stuff.

That makes sense. I've always had trouble reaching other peoples attained velocities with similar loads. I always attributed it to being a little higher elevation, shorter barrel or just plain BS. I realize that there are many other variables and I was usually always trying this with hunting barrel length rifles. (22"-24") My .308 has a 26" heavy barrel.
It's really hard to get factory ammo to shoot up to claimed velocities. Most factory rifle ammo measures at least 100fps less than what they claim. Federal has been the only manufacturer who lived up to there claims that I have attempted to measure. :cool:

Working on a 155gr Amax for a 308 rifle. Not wanting to shoot matches
just a few rockchucks.
Lots of interesting information posted so far...Thanks to all who posted..Nomad

I'm working up a load for the long rifle portion of a tactical match May 1st. I think I'm there, now I just have to get my drops at 300, 600, 800 and 1000. Play with the wind a little too. If it would have been held today we would have been shooting in 20mph winds.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.