A bit annoyed with some New Orleans citizens....

Get over it and pick up what is left......that is exactly what the people of the MS Gulf Coast did, same as they did with Camille. This post is about freeloaders and people who feel they are entitled to something for nothing. Not about comparing storms in different ends of the country, maybe that is why I think you are belittling the effects of a hurricane and that we are all just a bunch of whiners.

I dont know what damage your 100 mph winds do in the NW but if they did the type damage that Katrina dealt out, it would be on the freaking news. I am going to take your post to mean that the SE has bad *** 100 mph winds, and not as a slam on the people who do deal with these really bad storms every 30 or so years.

Do you get 20 foot storm surge with your 100 MPH winds and tornadoes? Do your storms drop so much rain on summer parched land that even 50 mph winds will blow over mature trees? I do not know anything about your storms apparently they are not news worthy.

Do we have 20 storm surges??? Well yes but we have large natural seawalls so that takes care most of that, remember NW rugged terrain, NO tornadoes thank God for that. Roads are closed frequently along the coast as the wind are tipping trucks and RV's over,

As far as mature trees being toppled does two or three hundred old Doug fir count???

But even with all of this going on we still don't make national news after all its just a PNW winter storm…

Oh forgot to add on the PNW coast we get rain most of the year that why its green here most of the year that's another reason we don't build houses in bottom land let along below sea level. If we did it rains so much we would need scuba gear just to seat in the dinning room…

Last edited:
Well having to live here we some of these people and I agree that their are some folks here that are not worthy of a bullet behind the ear. BUT like it was mentioned about the MS Gulf Coast was that the devistation their was far greater than anything N.O. has ever seen and after Katrina folks gathered their things and rebuilt , yet you hardly ever hear about that yet all thats on the news down here every **** day is how poorly the "government" has let down the citizens of N.O. yet FEMA has handed out BILLIONS of dollars to people that had nothing to begin with but the average guy who pays his bills and pays for his insurance takes a huge dick up the *** from his insurance company who won't pay out the policy that they have been collecting money on for decades and when you contact the feds about it they tell you tuff **** cause you pay for your insurance and you need to contact a lawyer. So in the end you end up comming out of your life savings to try to bring you home back to a livable condition and still have to pay for an insurance policy that you can't drop or the bank will take your house.

I'm not bitching or whining about it but I want you to understand that if you think of a second that your tired of hearing this **** you should trying living here and hearing about it for ever single thing that happens , wether its a house fire hurricane or hail storm , its the region and the government thats to blame as these people have been catored to for so long and its not gonna get any better because their are to many bleeding heart liberal candy assess grooming these sheeple for to long and if you think its bad now wait and see whats gonna happen if Oboma is elected.

Good plan only you probably need to get a bit further. I live about 120 miles inland and we had winds during Katrina that would twist 20 inch trees into pretzels and flipped mobile homes that were not tied down. Staying warm isnt a problem...because it will be hot and humid. During Katrina you could see severe tree damage all the way to Meridian. In fact if you ride anywhere down here in south MS, if you know what to look for you can see damage. It is mostly topped trees but there are still a few blue roofs and toppled structures even 3 years later. A better plan would be to have a bunch of fuel a generator and an air conditioner and do not build in a low lying area. I am still getting my power from my standby generator because of Gustav.....and it was a mild storm up my way only 7000 people without power in my county.

Don't know what it's like in New Orleans and exactly whats happening.

If I were there personally, I'd load up my Yamaha TW 200 with 5 gal of gas on the front rack and my Osprey pack and 12 man Kifaru tipi and stove on the rear. The 30-30 Marlin fits on the handlebar rack and the 9mm pistol on my chest holster.

With this I'd head of the city 30-40 miles into the interior of the state. Find a little knoll or hill to protect my tipi and pitch out and be content. Could live almost indefinately with this set up and you can cook and be warm.

That is my readiness package that I have here in Idaho, and I think it would work just fine in Louisiana.

Tell you what, I think that what I perceive as callousness is really a misunderstanding on your part on the devastation of a big hurricane. Depending on which way Ike turns and its strength why dont you come on down and enjoy the weather.
Maybe I am just on edge because I am stressed from the storm and the current tornado warning I always found you to be a good guy before tonight.

We do not have natural seawalls here now any elevation to speak of. I am 200 ft above sealevel and thre is nothing to slow those winds down Do yall have 100mph gusts or 100mph sustained winds?

Do your storms do this?

I-LongBeach-Neighborhood2.2.jpg

How about this?

G-PassC-Beach1.jpg

Here is map showing the wind speeds.
B-GulfCoast-Map1.gif

Do yall get 101-150 MPH winds with yur storms. I live near magnolia on this map. Our airport reported gusts over 120 mph and I am a long way from the gulf. So how bad are your winter storms?

Do we have 20 storm surges??? Well yes but we have large natural seawalls so that takes care most of that, remember NW rugged terrain, NO tornadoes thank God for that. Roads are closed frequently along the coast as the wind are tipping trucks and RV's over,

As far as mature trees being toppled does two or three hundred old Doug fir count???

But even with all of this going on we still don't make national news after all its just a PNW winter storm…

Oh forgot to add on the PNW coast we get rain most of the year that why its green here most of the year that's another reason we don't build houses in bottom land let along below sea level. If we did it rains so much we would need scuba gear just to seat in the dinning room…

Eddybo,

My point is being made by you perfectly well. The area south of you got destroyed but hardly anyone complained from that area because they were responsible and took care of themselves.

Stressed to the hilt and in a condition worse then most war zones and still no complaining.

Why are those from New Orleans bitching so much about simply being helped by those that would rather see them sit in a crowded shelter for a week then floating face down in floodwaters.

That is my only point, never to say that the destruction is not severe by any means, we all know it is. When someone offers to help why do they bitch about it is my only complaint?

I would not live down there for anything. Hell when I went down to Oklahoma this spring I was worried about tornados, have no stomach for that stuff but if one would have hit and we got into someones cellar, you certainly would not have heard me say it was dirty and cramped.

Just would like to see those that have been helped show just a little humility and appreciation to the rest of America because we really do care and will always help when we can without expecting even a thank you or ever knowing who specifically we are helping, just not hearing someone bitch about it is all we really ask and I am sure you would agree on that.

Take care.

Kirby,

How about that country on the east side of Glacier park, the strech from Livingston to Big Timber on I-90 and the Beartooth's in general. I've lived over there for six years. We had hurricane winds for weeks on end at times.

Of course no debris fields and water damage, but I've seen trailers homes and semis, and train cars get handled by that Montana wind you all have over in your country.

Had to move back to the more gentle clime of Idaho.

Your pont is well taken Kirby. One more reason to be annoyed with some New Orleans citizens is thier whining has calloused many to the suffering of those who got the worst of it.

I personally got off lucky in Katrina. I had about 40 acres of 30 year old plantation pines destroyed and that was it. These trees had probably an 18 inch diamater. About 1/2 of these trees were snapped like twigs 20 feet up.
The storm wasnt really that bad to me personally.....the aftermath on the other hand was terrible. 20 days of 95+ degree days with no electricity, trying to get things back in order was a real trial for a fat boy like me.

I have several friends who live south of me who were not as lucky. They are not whining, they are rebuilding. Same goes for most of LA also. It is only a small segment of screamers and blamers that are sitting on thier cans in FEMA trailers that deserve a swift kick.

Eddybo,

The truth is that many people live in areas where they shouldn't, and NOLA is a perfect example of that.

Living anywhere on the Gulf COAST is an example of that. No natural barriers to storm surges is a recipe for disaster, and we've now seen it for what it is.

A hundred years ago, when no one could predict hurricanes very well, and no one understood the mechanics of a hurricane, it is understandable that poeple would build where they did. NOW with the experiences of Katrina and other hurricanes, the insistence of people on continuing to live there is beyond the ability of most of us to understand, just like we don't understand why anyone WANTS to live where there are massive earthquakes!

When people DO make that decision, because of lifestyle, occupation, etc., and then put things back together when the worst happens, realizing that it was THEIR decision to live there, understanding the risks, most of us have no complaint.

BUT...when people live there, and then expect the rest of the country to repeatedly bail them out because they do, well, that rankles some.

Tell you what, I think that what I perceive as callousness is really a misunderstanding on your part on the devastation of a big hurricane. Depending on which way Ike turns and its strength why dont you come on down and enjoy the weather.
Maybe I am just on edge because I am stressed from the storm and the current tornado warning I always found you to be a good guy before tonight.

We do not have natural seawalls here now any elevation to speak of. I am 200 ft above sealevel and thre is nothing to slow those winds down Do yall have 100mph gusts or 100mph sustained winds?

Do your storms do this?

I-LongBeach-Neighborhood2.2.jpg

How about this?

G-PassC-Beach1.jpg

Here is map showing the wind speeds.
B-GulfCoast-Map1.gif

Do yall get 101-150 MPH winds with yur storms. I live near magnolia on this map. Our airport reported gusts over 120 mph and I am a long way from the gulf. So how bad are your winter storms?

Eddy Yes we have winds gust up to 120 MPH the biggest difference between us and you and the reason we don't make national news is we are not over populated. Just small towns up and down the coast so we don't have millions of people being evacuated and hundreds or thousands of homes being ruined. And after the storm hit's the coast with the big mountains and hills it usually takes the bite out of them. But are storms are real and the wind blows just as hard.

Are bigger more populated areas are in land and out of the way of them. Sorry to upset you didn't mean to.

Last edited:
I dont know, maybe this is just me, but why dont they just get rid of N.O. altogether?? I'm sure I"ll get some flak for saying that, but hey, it is what it is, a hole in the ground. Seems kinda stupid to keep rebuillding and rebuilding when its a re occuring natural disaster. I mean why have a city thats at sealevel and some parts below sea level. Seems kinda bass ackwards if you ask me.

Hurricanes are an odd thing, they are not on a schedule. By your reasoning no one should live in Florida period:) Katrina was the first hurricane I ever recall causing any damage to my area, Gustav was the second. Gustav was a real pushover comparitively. Hopefully we will not have another bad storm for 30 more years. Camille in 69 was the last storm to hit my area causing damage. If a storm coming through every thirty to fifty years means someone should move where would you suggest? I think my odds are pretty good right where I am at, and I am not waiting for anyone to bail me out. As much as I have paid in taxes in my lifetime maybe I should expect a bail out but I do not. Hurricanes are not that severe where I am at, even the bad ones.

My only beef on this thread is my perception of Joecools post. My perception may be skewed right now, but this is my perception of the meaning of his post, this is in my words not his, " We get storms just as bad as hurricanes and we do not even make the news those Southerners are just a bunch of whiney babies who ought to shut up and deal with it." If that isnt the meaning of his post then my interpretation is off a bit. In fact it probably is off a bit but it struck a nerve anyway.

I admire many of those folks on the gulf coast. The way they picked themselves up and rebuilt is amazing. There is still damage there but it is almost restored. Two years ago it literally looked like a nuclear bomb had exploded there, the reconstruction is dramatic. They havent moved, they have adapted. The buildings are better constructed to withstand future storms and in most cases in areas less prone to surge damage.

Eddybo,

The truth is that many people live in areas where they shouldn't, and NOLA is a perfect example of that.

Living anywhere on the Gulf COAST is an example of that. No natural barriers to storm surges is a recipe for disaster, and we've now seen it for what it is.

A hundred years ago, when no one could predict hurricanes very well, and no one understood the mechanics of a hurricane, it is understandable that poeple would build where they did. NOW with the experiences of Katrina and other hurricanes, the insistence of people on continuing to live there is beyond the ability of most of us to understand, just like we don't understand why anyone WANTS to live where there are massive earthquakes!

When people DO make that decision, because of lifestyle, occupation, etc., and then put things back together when the worst happens, realizing that it was THEIR decision to live there, understanding the risks, most of us have no complaint.

BUT...when people live there, and then expect the rest of the country to repeatedly bail them out because they do, well, that rankles some.

NP I am sorry for overreacting. Just have had a lot on my plate lately. I am going to bed maybe tomorrow will be a better day.

Eddy

Im not being callous heck my brother in law lives in Lafayette LA it would suck to have that happen all the time.

Hey I could go for that except it is a major port. Before Katrina Betsy was the last major storm to really hit N.O. I think that was in like 57 or 58, unless camille got them in 69. It isnt like there will be a Katrina every 3 or 4 years, but it is very vulnurable. I agree that building below sea level isnt a good plan.

I dont know, maybe this is just me, but why dont they just get rid of N.O. altogether?? I'm sure I"ll get some flak for saying that, but hey, it is what it is, a hole in the ground. Seems kinda stupid to keep rebuillding and rebuilding when its a re occuring natural disaster. I mean why have a city thats at sealevel and some parts below sea level. Seems kinda bass ackwards if you ask me.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.