A beginner's incredible story!!!!!!!

chris matthews

A beginner\'s incredible story!!!!!!!

This is a story about why we (men) should take our wives shooting!
Yesterday was the Iowa 1000yd Benchrest State Championship in Pella, Iowa.
I have been shooting this match since the start of the season and after watching me shoot, my new bride says she want's to do it.....
So, three weeks ago she shoots a gun (one of my ARs) for the first time in her life. Then last Sunday, I get out the 1000 yd BR gun and let her shoot it to get familiar with it, but due to the corn on my range, only at 100 yards. Then comes Iowa......we arrive Friday afternoon in time for a little practice that evening. She shoots at 1000 for the first time ever and starts getting the hang of it and finding her way around the gun, etc. etc...
Match time arrives early Saturday morning.....
Diana draws the first relay and this is where it the story really begins!!!!
She shoots a 4.970" group!!!!!!!!!!!! Wins her relay and moves into the shoot off.....
Second match for the afternoon.....shoots a 8" for a score of 42. Had top score so she wins her relay again!!!!! By this time the wind is blowing pretty good. Typical Iowa conditions- switching and gusty.....
Into the second shoot off- shoots a 6" for 29. Didn't win but Bill Shehane shot a 8" in that shoot off which Gordy Gritters was kind enough to tell the whole crowd during the award ceremony!!! (She was shooting for score, even though she had the smallest group in the shoot off)
Total up both matches and Diana has the smallest aggregate for light gun class- Winning the Championship in LG class and she is top woman shooter also!!!! She took second in the overall!!!!! She came home with 2 certificates, a plaque, a gun case, ammo box, cleaning stuff and 500 bullets from Sierra!!!! Not to bad for a girl!!!!!!!!
Here's a couple of pics from the match including the 4" group and Bill Shehane giving her a hug!!!
300489.JPG

300491.JPG

300494.JPG

300492.JPG

And now for the kicker- she did this with MY RIFLE!!!!! And TOTALLY kicked my butt!!! I shot a 10" and 8" in my relays.

All I can say is what an awesome woman!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS Hey Daddy Rabbit- betcha wish you would have bought this rifle now!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Re: A beginner\'s incredible story!!!!!!!

They will do that sort of stuff all the time. Don't know how they do it. They just do.

tell your wife congradulations. It's always nice to have a good shooting partner.

So awesome.

Chris...That story got my wife pumped big time. So I suppose shes gonna keep the rifle as her own now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hmmmm, I see a trend here. Beginers seem to do well with your rifles...heheheheh

Tell her great job and congrats!

Joe

Congrats to your wife on the great shooting Chris!
Looks like your rifles really shoot good with the right man ( or woman behind the trigger ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
Congrats again on her nice shooting and your new shooting partner!

I guess we know how the division of labor in this marriage is going to go.

You build the guns
You load the bullets
She gets the plaques and trophies.

Congratulations to you both!

My wife shot 6 deer last year and I shot 1. I can retire now and do so, I get up late and wait for her to come back to camp with deer. I love it, no more early *** crack of dawn getting up, sleep in, when I do finally get up shes there with deer or needing help getting the deer.
She shoots good but not as good as me, but that'll soon change, shes a heck of a hunter already and no doubt will surpass me in my hunting and shooting. I dont mind though, my enjoyment comes form building the guns, and then having her shoot them and kill deer. They sure can suprise you when they get in the bubble which seems to be easier for them than it is for us. Guess its that womens paying closer to attention detail they have such great patience for.

Just remember how well she can shoot the next time you are about to tick her off! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Awsome what caliber is HER new rifle?

Great shoot and congrats to your new wife and you.

How about a bear hunt now???

It's my 6.5 WSM, which she doesn't want- it's not good enough for her now- since she a state champ and all!!!
She wants me to build a 7 mm WSM on a Nesika action for HER light gun!!!
Here's how it works-
I build 'em...
We load the ammo...
We shoot....
She wins....
I say Yes dear.....
Everybody is happy....
Dave- When are we going?

Chris that is some good shooting your wife did. I have a couple questions on the 6.5wsm. First was that a long action? Second how much body taper does the case have. Third what is the case neck diameter and what is your shoulder degree? I only ask because I am about to order a 6.5wsm reamer. Just want to know if you would recomend changing the case dimensions?

Thanks d-a

It's a 270 WSM or 300 WSM necked dwon to 6.5 with a 0.298 neck. Let's you take a light clean up pass if you want.
Remmy SS short action in single shot configuration.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.