974yard over 33" Mule Deer

Magnus

Shot this wide Mule deer with my new 300win Mag using 210gr Berger VLDs going 2821fps, gun was built by Joe Starnes and he was also my spotter on the shot, 15mph wind from right to left! Buck is over 33" but he only scored 160 5/8, which was a little disappointing but hes still a monster in my book!! Hes at the taxidermist as we speak! Shot him twice, hit right behind front shoulder first round hit, he went and laid down and then got back up so I placed a 2nd in the high shoulder and down he came, both first round hits! Joe Starnes builds on awesome rifle, and Ill be competing this coming year with this rifle too! Taxidermist said he would guess this deer is 10yrs and maybe 12yrs old, his back teeth were wore down to the gums Old deer! Took me 7hrs to get him off the mountain and back to the truck, we were back in there aways! In the pic of deer on its side those are the exit wounds making total pass threws!
PS the black tape on his antler is my hunting licence taped to horns so I wouldnt loose it coming down the Mountain!
mulie1.jpg

Mulie4.jpg

Mulie5.jpg

mulie6.jpg

mulie8.jpg

Mulie9.jpg

Last edited:
Ive been shooting VDLs for awhile and they are great bullets the picture of the deer on its side is the far side (exit wounds) both bullets were total pass threws! First shot right behind the shoulder and 2nd shot I settled the crosshairs high on his shoulder, both shots were 4" apart! 210gr VDLs going 2821fps did the job very well!

Thanks for everyone commits, very happy to get this deer back and put him on the wall, biggest Muly I have ever shot! Should be back around 1 year (not so happy about that)Heres some more pic from the fire position, Joe walked me into the deer from the fire postion, up on the mountain things look alot different. Pic are take behind a 5.5-22 NightForce (Bolt was Opened) and also some from behind our Zeiss spotter!

trgr1.jpg

trgr2.jpg

trgr3.jpg

trgr4.jpg

trgr5.jpg

Congrats on a great buck. And a couple phenomenal shots. You have bigger stones than me shooting in that kind of wind! :D

Living in MT we do it all the time, Joe has a range in Conrad from 600yards to 2100yards and thats all we do is shoot, I guess you get use to it and as long as you have a good High BC bullet no problem at all and a good spotter calling wind for you that knows what they are doing! I put 4MOA right on the scope

Congrats Mangus

That is a trophy in my book and quite a fair poke to top it off.

He probably looked better last year, wouldn't you think? He just plain looks old.

Dam out of staters moving into Montana and shooting all our big bucks LOL:D
Congrats once again buddy!!
I'll bet the adrenaline high is still going!!

That is one long shot. Great job pulling it off. That is a nice deer and a very cool shot.

Yeah I would of loved to see this buck 1-2yrs ago, he had 2 does with him and he was raking his antlers in a tree getting ready for the rut..... but I dont think he was the biggest one on that mountain! We are going back in to try and find another one, now that our legs and knees are back to normal! He is going to be mounted in a aggresive shoulder mount with his head turned and tipped down alittle with the whites of his eyes showing, I think it will be one hell of a mount, I might never shoot a buck this big again, but I do know where to go, Im sure his genes are on the mountain!

Very nice deer and shot. The score means nothing. It's big and heavy. Increasing my chance of shooting deer like that, is the whole reason I got into long range shooting.

Congratulations.

The gun is un duracoated which I will be doing soon to match the stock but heres what the gun is

Rem700 Trued
Custom trigger
Lijia 26" #8 barrel plus custom brake
McMillian A5 with adjustable checkpiece
40MOA NightForce base and alumium Rings
NightForce NXS with NPR1 reticle 5.5-22x50
Pillar bedded
All work done by Joe Starnes at LongShot in Conrad MT
Harris swivel bipod
Gun weighs 14lbs
I think thats about it!

This thing shoots incredible like all my guns built by Joe Starnes do. Simply an amazing smith! We will be competing in tactical matches this spring, cant wait we should do very well!

Congratulations on the nice buck! Good shooting too.

If your buck had longer tines... He'd have really scored well. Agree w/you - I would have liked to have seen him two years ago - maybe even three or four years ago... Quite a buck and I'd be mighty proud of him if he was mine!

Regards, Guy

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.