95grn Berger VLD, how does it work on small varmints

TheReeper

Hey guys, I am trying to work up a varmint load for my 6BR. I want to use a high BC bullet instead of using the regular V-Max, BlitzKing or Ballistic Tip type bullet.

I want the high BC bullet, however, I would like to still have a bullet that will give me a little splat. I heard the 95grn Berger VLD's do a pretty good job of blowing small varmints (Pdogs and Squirrels) up. Is this true?

I have never tried them on varmints. Could you guys please give me a field report on how they perform before I spend money on them. My barrel is a Bartlien 28", 1-8 twist. I have heard the 105grn A-Max's does a really good job of tearing little varmints up. But I would like to use the 95grn Berger VLD's, because they have a higher BC .514, and I will be able to push them faster. Any info would be great.

I have shot both the 105 A-Max and the 95 VLD Berger in my 6x284 at prairie dogs. The Berger had a slight advantage in accuracy, but not much. I'd say the A-Max was pretty close to twice as explosive, but the Berger didn't let any walk away.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts