95 Berger VLD For Deer

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by dakor, Aug 4, 2004.

1. dakor

dakor Well-Known Member

I have a 6mm-284 that shoots 95gr Berger VLD's very well has anyone tried them on Whitetail Deer and if so how did they work? My shots would be anywhere from 100 yards to 600 yards and my MV is 3510fps.

2. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

Dakor,

The 95 gr Berger is a hell of a bullet but for deer, I would have to recommend a 107 gr Sierra Mk over it if your rifle has a twist that will shoot it.

The Berger is just a bit thin in my mind for deer. Antelope would be alright but at those speeds, an impact at 250 yards and under may not turn out so well on a whitetail.

Just my opinion,

Kirby Allen(50)

3. dakor

dakor Well-Known Member

Thanks Fifty! I think I will shoot the 100 Sierra or 95 Ballistic Tip for Deer and leave the VLD's for some Long Range Coyotes this winter.

4. LB

LB Well-Known Member

I have used various 6MMs for years, but not the 6/284. When it comes to a big game bullet, I tend to use either the 105 Grain Speer, or more recently, the 100 Grain Sierra Spitzer.

I used a 6MM Remington in Africa, on kudu, and warthog. The 100 Sierra passed completely through both lungs on the kudu and exited. I was not happy using that gun, at the time, having brought it, mainly for jackal, but it worked.

As a big game bullet, in that bore, it's hard to beat.

Good hunting. LB

5. mbianchini

mbianchini Well-Known Member

105 gr A-Max at 3300 out of my 243 AI would be my choice.

PICTURES
    www.pbase.com.m16800/toys

[ 08-13-2004: Message edited by: mbianchini ]

6. LB

LB Well-Known Member

The A-Max on whitetail? Whatever(?), but your pics are of groundhogs. Are you sure of the application? LB

7. mbianchini

mbianchini Well-Known Member

LB LAST PAGE

8. dakor

dakor Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Info LB. You shot a Kudo with a 6mm. [​IMG] Just goes to show how shot placement is the key.