90 gr. Swift Scirocco

Greg Duerr

Ive heard that its hard to get the 90gr. Scirocco to shoot out of a standard 1x10 twist in the .243....................What about the 1x9?

For those who shoot the 90gr. Scirocco what works for you..................and how does the bullet perform.?

G

Going the wrong direction. IF the 90 grain will not stabilize at 1in10 it would be highly unlikely for it to improve by going to a faster twist.

That is exactly what I am saying, but I think 1x12 would be plenty slow for a 90 grain 6mm bullet. If you think I am going the wrong way you might want to research the evolution of twist used by Remington for the .244/6mm.

I heard that the standard .243 twist is 1x91/2, I think Berger sugjests a 1x9 for their 95gr and a 1x8 for their 105 the long Scirocco would need a faster twist than the 1x10 if it wont shoot in the 1x10 my rifle has a 1x9 twist and was told by Swift that the 90gr. Scirocco shoots best in a faster twist rate.........most guys I have talked to could not get them to shoot well in their standard factory barrels....................

Rule of thumb.

Longer bullet needs faster twist rate.

Lighter bullet=shorter bullet, heavy bullet=longer bullet

90 gr Swift Scirocco is a long bullet for its calibre

This website says the bullet is 1.132" in length.
Using the jbm stability calculator, I get a minimum twist rate of 8.5" per revolution at sea level for 3000f/s mv.
The Applied Ballistics point mass solver agrees.

"Going the wrong direction. IF the 90 grain will not stabilize at 1in10 it would be highly unlikely for it to improve by going to a faster twist."

heavier, longer bullets using a slower twist ehh? (im Canadian, excuse the ehh).
Well, i think that you should chamber a .243 with a 1-12 or 1-14 tube and let us know how it works for you with the 90 grainers.:D

berger recomends a 1-9 twist minimum for their 95's. got a box of em in my hands. A 1-10 may stabilize the 90's, but it'll hit or miss. A 1-9 will do the trick though.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts