8X or 10X Bino's... need to know!!!!

300whinny

Guys

Spent a good 2 hours checking out all sorts of binos today, from low end to high end.... and after some consideration I have made my choice!!!

Although the big names were definitely better, and I can afford them, the chances are that they will get damaged so thinking its not a great idea.

After looking, I think I have decided on the Newer Bushnell lengend HD bino's. They were surprising better than I expected. Now, I have a few choices here....

10X42
8X42, &
10X36.

Ultimately the 8X42 offer the best of both words, great field of view and exit pupil, but and this is where I am unsure, maybe going to the 10X would be better suited.

It will be used for hunting whilst walking, no tripods etc, looking for game out to around the 700yd mark. As for the game I will be looking for, the smallest would be fox sized but then the reality is, being used on fox sized game will be such a small percentage of the use.

So, 8X or 10X? I do think the 8X will serve my needs, not as shaky, but will I want that extra magnification once I get the 8X?

Cheers

First thing to do is eliminate the 10X36. Such small objectives are not going too get you much light.

Second thing is that fixed power optics are a good choice. I do not think you will see much difference between the 8X and the 10X.

Finally, the thing that will help the most is to always have a shooting stick handy to rest the binoculars on. That will be a tremendous boost to the sharpness of the view, especially if you go with the 10X

Guys

Spent a good 2 hours checking out all sorts of binos today, from low end to high end.... and after some consideration I have made my choice!!!

Although the big names were definitely better, and I can afford them, the chances are that they will get damaged so thinking its not a great idea.

After looking, I think I have decided on the Newer Bushnell lengend HD bino's. They were surprising better than I expected. Now, I have a few choices here....

10X42
8X42, &
10X36.

Ultimately the 8X42 offer the best of both words, great field of view and exit pupil, but and this is where I am unsure, maybe going to the 10X would be better suited.

It will be used for hunting whilst walking, no tripods etc, looking for game out to around the 700yd mark. As for the game I will be looking for, the smallest would be fox sized but then the reality is, being used on fox sized game will be such a small percentage of the use.

So, 8X or 10X? I do think the 8X will serve my needs, not as shaky, but will I want that extra magnification once I get the 8X?

Cheers

I would recomend the 8x42s if you have a spotting scope . They will be easier on your eyes,
more field of view and work a little better in poor light.

The 10x42s would be my next choice if you weren't going to use/carry a spotting scope. They
are about the most you can use without a tripod or a good rest.

I hunt with both and never leave ether one at home.

J E CUSTOM

If most of your hunting is done while hiking I would go with the 8X42. I've tried all and love my 7X35 Leitz. As you stated not as shaky as the higher powers.

My 2 cents: A very close friend of mine has traveled the world hunting, and without a doubt the most savvy hunter I know, and he told me 30 years ago that 90% of your big game hunting will be glassing, so don't scrimp on the glass. I have the 8X42 Nikon ED binoculars, and the clear advantage from expensive glass as opposed to cheap glass, is being able to see incredibly well in the early morning, later evening, and in the shadows of trees.

As previously mentioned, the high power 10 has a tendency to shake if not steadied.

Good luck with your choice.

I will throw you a question that most people will probable think that I hit my head on a rock. WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT AGE? From personal experience - I have used a set of Swaro's 8X power for the past 25 plus years. I have went so far as to have my Swaro's sent in every 2 years for cleaning and upgrading. When I hit the big 50 things seemed to kind of start on the down hill - bifocals, straining, focusing more than I used too etc. Now am looking at going to 10X. So if you have young eyes the 8X will be more than adequate but if mother nature is creeping up you may want to consider the 10X very seriously. I have 2 sons with 10X Leupold binocs and it just drives me crazy when I say something like "there are some elk" and they respond with something like "Yea - 2 spikes and the rest cows". We use binocs in the mountains here in Montana at least 30-45 days per year with the bulk of our day glassing - so binocs are just as important as your rifle - just that we use them about 100 times more.

It sounds like the 8x will be fine for what you are doing. I have the swarovski 10X42 EL and they are the best I have ever owned, but you really need to have a rest to hold them steady. The 8x I have looked through were definitely more steady without a rest.

I agree w/cowboy. For me the downhill on human optics started around 46 years and so I tend to go higher power on optics. 10x IMHO.

Well, I agree with the others. Old age and most all optics do not work well together. I used to carry a Bushnell 8x50 all the time. As I got older the weight of this binocular just about killed my neck. I decided to do something about it. I bought a small roof prisim, Leica 10x20. I still love it. Does not produce neck strain, and its easy to hold with one hand. The downside is that the small objectives make some diminished details difficult to see. But, at 700 yards, even a 50mm is not going to be crystal clear most of the time. From half hour before sunrise till half hour before sunset, a good mini binocular cannot be beat.

PS - Buy a good one. I found that cheaper minis lose focus when they bounce around on your chest. My Leica does not. Gene

I have the Meopta 10x50 binos and they are bright. I did a side by side comparison with the Swaro binos and the Meopta seemed brighter to my eyes.
Meostar B1 10x50 | Meopta
The 10x are just fine for me. My previous (back up) glass is Leupold Windriver 8x30 and I thought they were good until I bought the Meopta.
If you are serious about hunting and glassing, don't cut corners on your glass.

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.