8mm brass 7mm stw

you can see from the pictures i do do a bit of loading!!! I do speak from experience.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 95
im not a fan of one shot for most heavy duty work but just neck sizing down some brass isnt hard to do. One shot worked just fine when I did it. If you want the best lube for sizing at the best price go to your pharmaisist and ask him for anhydrous lanolin. Make sure its anhydrous though. You can but a 2 lb tube of of for less then the cost of a tin of imperial sizing wax and its the same thing. Lanolin is also the main ingreditiant in lee and dillon lubes. I also use it to make cast bullet lube. A tub of it will last the average handloader two lifetimes. Ive found NOTHING better for case sizing.

Great tip, thanks!!!

You have a quite impressive reloading shop!
gun)

I haven't found any 8mm brass to neck down either. I read in one of the precision shooting books a guy was necking down 300 h&h brass and fireforming. He actually gained a couple of grains of capacity. I don't know how Norma made the Jarret brass but that may have been what they started with.
I did find some remingtion stw brass at cabellas yesterday. I don't know when remington is going to make another run. I called Nosler last week and they said they were expecting a March run and brass should be available in early April.

i just did a 100 yesterday. Nothing but standard rcbs 7stw sizing die and hornady oneshot sprayed on the cases like any other time i size. Never had a single one get ruined. Loaded up 50 of them and the bullets seated just like in factory 7stw cases ive got so id bet the necks arent even in need of trimming. All rounds ran though the gun perfectly too.

This threads old now but let me try to get a little more info if anyone still hanging around on this thread.
I just got a 7 STW, and 40 rounds from the builder, problem is the ammo was destroyed in shipping. He's sending more but 40 rounds won't last long. I bought some 8mm mag brass to neck down. I've tried a couple with Rcbs FL die. It necked down well, and concentric, no expander ball. It leaves a donut at the neck shoulder junction. Should I fire form with reduced loads, or can I shoot these cases at full power with good results. The load development is already done, and have load data.
I've heard both here, and still not sure what my best option would be.
I'd appreciate some more direction.

This threads old now but let me try to get a little more info if anyone still hanging around on this thread.
I just got a 7 STW, and 40 rounds from the builder, problem is the ammo was destroyed in shipping. He's sending more but 40 rounds won't last long. I bought some 8mm mag brass to neck down. I've tried a couple with Rcbs FL die. It necked down well, and concentric, no expander ball. It leaves a donut at the neck shoulder junction. Should I fire form with reduced loads, or can I shoot these cases at full power with good results. The load development is already done, and have load data.
I've heard both here, and still not sure what my best option would be.
I'd appreciate some more direction.

Well, I'll beat this (dead) horse again.
The case on the 7stw is fully formed when you run a 8rem through the sizing die, so no fireforming is really necessary. If you have an extremely sloppy chamber you could fireform but it is a firing off the case for little gain. If you are running the h@h casings through your 7stw die for casings I would fireform as your capacity will be quite a bit less as the case isn't fully formed.

etisll40,

I'm a bit surprised that nobody has mentioned this so far, but no, the 8mm Rem Mag is far from being "the only" case that can be made into 7mm STW brass. There's an entire family, most of them far more readily available than the 8mm Rem Mag, which is itself somthing of a rare bird. Try the 300 H&H Mag, or the always readily available 375 H&H. There's a couple of Weatherby cases that would also work, but cost would be considerably higher, and there may be issues in reforming that double radius shoulder. I'd suggest the 375 H&H as being the easiest to find, with the 300 H&H right behind it in order of preference. Norma makes both, and they're of good quality. Certainly far better than the Remington stuff you'd most likely be starting with if you were to reform from 8mm Rem Mag cases. As far as Lapua goes, we've had some discussions along these lines, but there's nothing brewing on the immediate horizon. Sorry I can't have better news for you, but that's just not in the works anytime soon. Anyway, try the 375 or 300 H&H as parent cases, and I think you'll be off to a good start.

Well, I'll beat this (dead) horse again.
The case on the 7stw is fully formed when you run a 8rem through the sizing die, so no fireforming is really necessary. If you have an extremely sloppy chamber you could fireform but it is a firing off the case for little gain. If you are running the h@h casings through your 7stw die for casings I would fireform as your capacity will be quite a bit less as the case isn't fully formed.

Thanks, and I apologize for the redundant questioning. Haven't had much time to search the topic lately.
The rifle should have a tighter than average factory chamber. I'll just run a few through my FL sizer, load em up and see how they do.
Good to hear there are more options out there with the H@H cases.

etisll40,

I'm a bit surprised that nobody has mentioned this so far, but no, the 8mm Rem Mag is far from being "the only" case that can be made into 7mm STW brass. There's an entire family, most of them far more readily available than the 8mm Rem Mag, which is itself somthing of a rare bird. Try the 300 H&H Mag, or the always readily available 375 H&H. There's a couple of Weatherby cases that would also work, but cost would be considerably higher, and there may be issues in reforming that double radius shoulder. I'd suggest the 375 H&H as being the easiest to find, with the 300 H&H right behind it in order of preference. Norma makes both, and they're of good quality. Certainly far better than the Remington stuff you'd most likely be starting with if you were to reform from 8mm Rem Mag cases. As far as Lapua goes, we've had some discussions along these lines, but there's nothing brewing on the immediate horizon. Sorry I can't have better news for you, but that's just not in the works anytime soon. Anyway, try the 375 or 300 H&H as parent cases, and I think you'll be off to a good start.

I just got 100 Nosler 8mm Rem Mag last week, so that should do me for awhile. I did notice that H@H cases were readily available. I may pick a few up and experiment. I'm new to this, and haven't done any forming cases, or necking down for that matter. Sounds easy enough though.

Thanks, and I apologize for the redundant questioning. Haven't had much time to search the topic lately.
The rifle should have a tighter than average factory chamber. I'll just run a few through my FL sizer, load em up and see how they do.
Good to hear there are more options out there with the H@H cases.

No apology needed.....
Even a good, tight ghamber is apt to be a bit long with a belted mag, so you may have some slop. I've got a custom barrel on my current pipe and she's a few thou. longer than my rem sendero was. I think a reamer that's been sharpened a couple of times will actually do a better job of getting you a chamber that doesn't beat up your brass because it's on the long side.

I've done plenty of 375h@h to 7stw and they are great. I have always used rem brass but may try other brands of this supply funk keeps up for more than a few months.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.